Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Those piglets are amazing!

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I made this barrette holder for DD for Christmas last year. It's been a hit, and keeps her "pretties" organized!

Sarah
    Mom to Alex (2002) and Catherine (2003)

"The challenge of parenting isn't shaping your kids to be what you want, it's shaping yourself to be what your kids need." - Wellyes

MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sorry for the slow reply. I have been crocheting for about 10 years. I taught myself from one of those "Teach yourself to crochet in 1 day" type books. LOL! Now, I have taught 2 friends, both of whom are quite good.

The piglets were in someways easy (they really only use the most basic stitch), but you do have to be able to follow a pattern. The basic books will explain how to read a pattern (it is all shorthand: ex: "ch 24, dc in 2nd ch from hook, *2 sc, 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, 2 sc, dec twice, repeat from *.) Once you learn the code it is not bad. You do have to be super particular about counting stitches and following instructions--that works for me and my tyoe A ways.

I suggest that if you want to try it, you find a book and play with it. Maybe friend IRL who can give you a few pointers (it is hard if you cannot see what the other person is doing). Start with a worsted weight yarn in a synthetic blend (something cheap like RedHeart is good to practice). I would say just start with some little swatches, and then try a basic project from your first book. After that, you could tackle something bigger like a baby blanket. Then, the sky is the limit.

I think the key to have a really nice outcome is to pick a really cute pattern (there is a lot of dowdy looking stuff out there IMO, but increasingly, people are publishing cute, modern looking patterns). The other key is to be very careful picking your yarn. Find a good store and take your time choosing something just right for your project.

If you have questions, pm me, and I am happy to try to help. I hope you learn and that you enjoy it!
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by schums View Post
    I made this barrette holder for DD for Christmas last year. It's been a hit, and keeps her "pretties" organized!

This is so smart!! What did you use to make the support? Is it painted wood, or did you fabric cover it? It almost looks like felt.

Did you make it up, or have instructions/a template?
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Here are some of my dolls:

I finally finished some of the snack bags.

I did these a couple years ago, but it is one of the most useful projects I have done:

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It's painted wood (MDF), and I made a template using the computer. Dh did the cutting, I did the painting. We put picture hangers on the back, and it's up in her room now with a LOT more "pretties"! It actually was pretty easy, just a bit time consuming!
    Sarah
    Mom to Alex (2002) and Catherine (2003)

"The challenge of parenting isn't shaping your kids to be what you want, it's shaping yourself to be what your kids need." - Wellyes

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaSnoo View Post
    Sorry for the slow reply. I have been crocheting for about 10 years. I taught myself from one of those "Teach yourself to crochet in 1 day" type books. LOL! Now, I have taught 2 friends, both of whom are quite good.

The piglets were in someways easy (they really only use the most basic stitch), but you do have to be able to follow a pattern. The basic books will explain how to read a pattern (it is all shorthand: ex: "ch 24, dc in 2nd ch from hook, *2 sc, 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, 2 sc, dec twice, repeat from *.) Once you learn the code it is not bad. You do have to be super particular about counting stitches and following instructions--that works for me and my tyoe A ways.
    Your Piglet's are awesome! Can I ask where you got the pattern? Book? Etsy? Did they have other disney Patterns?

I crochet but mostly playfood for DD, nothing too complicated but I'd like to try a stuffed animal.

TIA!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2