Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The stimulus checks were too low to make a meaningful difference. We need housing that's affordable and mental health help. This is a federal issue because states can't handle their own problems - NY and CA (and Illinois) give so much more into the federal government than they take out. About time the federal government helps the states that truly fund it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    The stimulus checks were too low to make a meaningful difference. We need housing that's affordable and mental health help. This is a federal issue because states can't handle their own problems - NY and CA (and Illinois) give so much more into the federal government than they take out. About time the federal government helps the states that truly fund it.
    Federal help can't overturn disastrous state policies. Clearly a 13% CA state tax rate isn't enough $s to address. CA is 39 out of 50 in terms of dependency on federal funding. I highly doubt there's enough money on Earth to ever address that states issues.

How can the Federal gov't address the high cost of housing and low income. How does California not address with a eyepopping 13% state tax rate?

Newsom has started spending big on this ever continuing growing problem but also receives a half Billion $s in Federal aid for this issue alone.

https://calmatters.org/explainers/ca...sis-explained/

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The stimulus might be ok for some areas in the country but for high col areas its a bit of a joke. 3600 is what a family of 4 gets but most rent/mortgage are over 2000/mo here. So that works out to what is likely a 1mo rescue package when we've been home for 2mo and those in phase3 of reopening will have been out of work for more than 3mo or more. Plus, many many people have yet to see that benefit. I know our family hasnt and neither has my mom our my cousin.

The fed government cant address housing cost but it can deal with livable wages. Perhaps if states had been able to access PPE more readily w/o being pitted against each other, there wouldnt have been so many cases and we'd have been open a bit sooner.

The fed government could have made it a bit easier to use food benefits online so that the poorest/most volunerable could also have access to online/curbside food shopping that many people on this board enjoy.

The feds have done some good - emergency declarations making some stuff reimbursable to the states as well as approving additional grants.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I completely agree.

As for homelessness, let’s give money to people to survive. Canada is giving their people stipends. $1200 was a joke.
    Exactly. Canada is giving stipends that you have to demonstrate a need for and register for through revenue Canada. They’re not a one time thing. They’re also paying out UI to people who’ve lost their jobs, unlike stories I’ve heard of in the US where states have run out of money.

It might have been nice if the stimulus checks were all going to people who actually needed them, and who are actually paying into the system.

If you want to get angry, read this:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/dua...-eip-1.5562506

All US citizens are legally required to file US taxes. Based on tax filing status hundreds of thousands of checks have been mailed out of the country automatically to US ex-pats. Not paying, filing. There’s a threshold for actually paying.

I was surprised to receive mine last week. If I were in need I’d qualify for the support in the country I actually live and pay taxes in as you’d expect.

This is a huge waste of money and could have been better managed in order to give Americans who actually need it a larger amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Dd got a Stimulus check. She also got a letter from DT talking about it, but we thought something was strange because she is still our dependent and we do not qualify. DH was reading an article and saw that dependents should not be receiving these checks, so they’re trying to figure out how to return it (without being prompted).
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Globetrotter did you get a check? A friend got hers today and she got it as a credit card. I dont want a credit card! Cant pay the mortgage with it and I have to make sure I dont loose it.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I heard that parents who were behind in child support were not going to get a check, but I just heard from my xhusband that he got a partial stimulus check, he made a little over ten 75k, but he stopped paying his child support for my two kids 14 months ago.

I had never heard of the checks coming in a credit card. Mine was deposited directly into the bank.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    Globetrotter did you get a check? A friend got hers today and she got it as a credit card. I dont want a credit card! Cant pay the mortgage with it and I have to make sure I dont loose it.
    yes, it was a check. I have no idea why they would come in credit card form. Maybe for people who don’t have bank accounts?
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Default Stimulus Payments on Debit Cards!

This is a real thing! I write social media posts for various companies, including a financial advisor and this was a topic I wrote about. The debit cards are coming in plain envelopes. They can be easily missed.

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm1012

https://www.chron.com/coronavirus/ar...w-15294701.php
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What would cause a card to be issued instead of a check?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast