Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    The NYT podcast The Daily had a nice summary of Delta and breakthrough infections Monday 8/2. It’s the first 15 minutes, I have a much better understanding of it now.
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000530734989
    Thank you for sharing. The reporter was very clear in her explanation. I think I'm going to have my family listen to it too. It seems to be hard for my kids to grasp that, even vaccinated, they can still be asymptomatic carriers or have light cases of it.

We received news of a very sad break through case: 60 year old cancer survivor, fully vaccinated, who passed away quickly after contracting COVID19. His body was too weak to fight off the virus. I know that this can happen with other viruses too- we lost a cancer survivor to pneumonia, and two others to different infections. But, this one hurts a little extra as he was excited to be vaccinated and thought he was safe. I keep checking in with one relative in particular who works with COVID19 patients in the ICU, and they are still not seeing a big upswing in hospitalizations among the vaccinated. The vaccination is definitely helping. But that underlying dread that something will happen to one of our vaccinated loved ones with a weaker immune system is as strong as ever.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    This is a good article on our current situation:
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/delta...choenthaler-md
    Thank you for this. It helped ease my mind on some of the recent decision making in my house

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I follow this author on FB and I also think this is really well articulated and seems very sound from a science point of view.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The NYT podcast The Daily had a nice summary of Delta and breakthrough infections Monday 8/2. It’s the first 15 minutes, I have a much better understanding of it now.
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000530734989
    I'm not sure the TWIV people would agree with the way this was presented. I mean, I'm talking about picky phrases and details...I accept that I could be totally wrong! Wonder if other listeners felt the same? It was presented in a good format for listeners who don't have several hours every week and listen to TWIV, lol.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I'm not sure the TWIV people would agree with the way this was presented. I mean, I'm talking about picky phrases and details...I accept that I could be totally wrong! Wonder if other listeners felt the same? It was presented in a good format for listeners who don't have several hours every week and listen to TWIV, lol.
    Oh yes, I agree. I think I can know give a little pitch to patients and family members now that will have an impact. Like, not 100% correct, but I’m not steering them wrong also. There is a lot of small talk when I take care of some of my patients before surgery, and COVID a comes up a lot. “Did you see a lot of COVID patients?” “Why yes, this pre-op bay you are hanging around in, that’s not nearly big enough for an ICU a room, was part of a converted COVID ICU. TWICE because you f#&!ers didn’t listen after the first time.” (wait, that last part I just say in my head.) Just had some patient tell me their adult child survived cancer and the doctor told them not to get the COVID vaccine because they were a cancer survivor. There is a lot of Zen breathing going on when I choose my words to respond back. “Like, well, I don’t think any of the oncology doctors that work here would recommend that.” As I the doctors you traveled several states over to see, not the crappy ones back home.

I honestly think if I lived in a lot of states I would walk away from nursing at this point. I can barely manage it here.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It would seem from all the people I've talked to that vaccinated people *are* spreading covid, even though she says it isn't known. Too many instances of a room full of vaccinated people getting Covid. Maybe not bad covid, but still getting covid. Which to me just means to mask up! It's the one thing we can do right now (after getting the vaccine).
    Last edited by chlobo; 08-03-2021 at 07:01 PM.

Oh yes, I agree. I think I can know give a little pitch to patients and family members now that will have an impact. Like, not 100% correct, but I’m not steering them wrong also. There is a lot of small talk when I take care of some of my patients before surgery, and COVID a comes up a lot. “Did you see a lot of COVID patients?” “Why yes, this pre-op bay you are hanging around in, that’s not nearly big enough for an ICU a room, was part of a converted COVID ICU. TWICE because you f#&!ers didn’t listen after the first time.” (wait, that last part I just say in my head.) Just had some patient tell me their adult child survived cancer and the doctor told them not to get the COVID vaccine because they were a cancer survivor. There is a lot of Zen breathing going on when I choose my words to respond back. “Like, well, I don’t think any of the oncology doctors that work here would recommend that.” As I the doctors you traveled several states over to see, not the crappy ones back home.

I honestly think if I lived in a lot of states I would walk away from nursing at this point. I can barely manage it here.
    I have a friend that's 39, high risk pregnant (on blood thinners), now has gdm with her numbers high (the doctors I work with would call her numbers "uncontrolled gestational diabetes" but her ob says wait a week and try walking at night...), with 4 kids in schools (2 too young to be vaccinated and masks will be optional next year) ...who won't get the covid vaccine because her freaking ob told her back in like March "if you were my daughter I'd tell you not too..."...who still won't get vaccinated ONLY because of her ob's advice. I am pushing her to at least ask to be referred to MFMs (which she should be as she has uncontrolled gdm) and hoping that they will push it. (I know the high risk ob's I work with have been highly recommending it since Jan/Feb but she's in a different hospital system, but I'd imagine the MFM's she'd see will recommend it also...)

As far as nurses walking away, I think a lot of them are. And then many are leaving to become travel nurses to cash in on the nursing shortages too. (I don't blame them if they are up for that sort of work! Not me.)
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    I have a friend that's 39, high risk pregnant (on blood thinners), now has gdm with her numbers high (the doctors I work with would call her numbers "uncontrolled gestational diabetes" but her ob says wait a week and try walking at night...), with 4 kids in schools (2 too young to be vaccinated and masks will be optional next year) ...who won't get the covid vaccine because her freaking ob told her back in like March "if you were my daughter I'd tell you not too..."...who still won't get vaccinated ONLY because of her ob's advice. I am pushing her to at least ask to be referred to MFMs (which she should be as she has uncontrolled gdm) and hoping that they will push it. (I know the high risk ob's I work with have been highly recommending it since Jan/Feb but she's in a different hospital system, but I'd imagine the MFM's she'd see will recommend it also...)

As far as nurses walking away, I think a lot of them are. And then many are leaving to become travel nurses to cash in on the nursing shortages too. (I don't blame them if they are up for that sort of work! Not me.)
    Well, apparently that OB didn’t have to rip multiple preemies out of their mothers so we could prone them to keep them alive when they got COVID.

Well, apparently that OB didn’t have to rip multiple preemies out of their mothers so we could prone them to keep them alive when they got COVID.
    Not yet anyway. We are in Missouri so I hope my friend isn't one of them that ends up needing to be proned with a preemie. I know we have had several pregnant moms end up on vents at my work not to mention other complications.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a friend who lives in Florida and has covid for the 2nd time. I do not believe she is vaxed, and judging by the pictures she posts she doesn’t mask either. She is a teacher and both of her cases have been school related. She was bad enough yesterday that she went to the hospital, but she was sent home since she wasn’t sick enough to be admitted.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast