Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    JamiMac is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What an irresponsible dog owner! I'd be mad too! I think you did the right thing calling the police. I would probably change my route at this point until their house sells. It doesn't sound like the owners care enough to do anything about the dog.
    DD 2001
    DD 2004
    DS 2007

Are the police your only option? Do you have animal control in your area? We have a lab living in the house behind ours, fortunately separated by a tall fence, that barked constantly when these people first moved in. I would take DD for walks and the dog barked and acted aggressive, but not to the degree you described. It would bark loudly and charge to the edge of their property. It always stopped, but every time, I was scared it wouldn't. The owner was always out and acted so nonchalant about the whole thing that it really irritated me. He could see that DD was with me. I felt very nervous and did NOT like walking by that house. DH got fed up with the barking and filed a complaint with animal control. The officer came to our house and spoke to me about the dog. When I explained how the dog seemed aggressive, he said "You should never feel fearful of a dog and be afraid to walk in your own neighborhood". You could tell he was totally irritated and said he would have a strong conversation with them. He told me that if they didn't control their dog, they would face fines and possibly losing their dog. We've had no problems since.

Don't change your route. You shouldn't have to because you have more right to be there than that dog. Call animal control or the police and tell them how many times this has happened and that you are scared to walk by that house. If there are leash laws in your area, that will give you even more leverage.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh gosh, Lisa. If it were me, I'd call animal control, in add'n to what you've already done. I agree that you shouldn't have to change your route, but I'd be defensive while that dog is still about. I would vote to change your route until the dog is no longer there rather than risk it with the kids. Irresponsible pet owners make me nuts. Please update and let us know how this goes.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

how you react somewhat depends on the dogs body language. lots of dogs will run up aggressively barking but really have no intent on biting - those you firmly yell GO HOME BAD DOG and they usually DO stop right there.

if they really are aggressive and intent on biting, then standing like a tree not looking at them or engaging them in Any way is best - next is dropping to fetal position - but this isnt really practical w/small kids in tow.

I wouldnt get bear spray or really even pepper spray b/c if the wind is 'wrong' you risk the kids getting a faceful.

Personally, I'd call AC or the police every chance I saw them out. And change my route.

I may have more "right" to be there, but avoiding the situation seems like a safer and more practical option to me with small kids..

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How scary, especially with 3 kids with you! I don't think I could walk by there again, at least without DH. On one hand, if it happens again, and you can call the police again, it would take care of the situation permanently. On the other, I wouldn't want to put the kids at risk. Can DH walk over there alone with a bat or something?
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Wasp spray works from quite a ways off and has a pretty direct spray.

We have a dog we call 'vicious mutt' on our favorite walking route as well. We always keep an eye out for him and I'm ready to do what I have to do to protect my kids. I do not have to give up MY walk because some people shouldn't own pets.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaS View Post
    Wasp spray works from quite a ways off and has a pretty direct spray.

We have a dog we call 'vicious mutt' on our favorite walking route as well. We always keep an eye out for him and I'm ready to do what I have to do to protect my kids. I do not have to give up MY walk because some people shouldn't own pets.
    I don't want to give up what is normally a lovely walk either. I carried the pepper spray because I thought I could get the dog to back off without really hurting it. I don't want to do permanent damage to him- it's not his fault his stupid owners aren't restraining him, kwim?

I ordered some stronger pepper spray last night. If it doesn't work, I have a bat as back up. Hope I don't need it.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    how you react somewhat depends on the dogs body language. lots of dogs will run up aggressively barking but really have no intent on biting - those you firmly yell GO HOME BAD DOG and they usually DO stop right there.

if they really are aggressive and intent on biting, then standing like a tree not looking at them or engaging them in Any way is best - next is dropping to fetal position - but this isnt really practical w/small kids in tow.

I wouldnt get bear spray or really even pepper spray b/c if the wind is 'wrong' you risk the kids getting a faceful.

Personally, I'd call AC or the police every chance I saw them out. And change my route.

I may have more "right" to be there, but avoiding the situation seems like a safer and more practical option to me with small kids..
    You raise good points. I love that route- it is the safest one for us- except for the dog.

I researched some pepper spray and got another one that squirts rather than shoots a fog. I've practiced with it and take into account that the wind may be blowing. I feel pretty confident with the regular pepper spray that squirts. The one I got is suppose to be a stronger, hotter concentration of pepper. So, it should really hurt but not damage anyone/anything.

Question- if I ignored the dog and kept on pushing the stroller while not acknowledging its existence is that as good as standing as still as a tree?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Question- if I ignored the dog and kept on pushing the stroller while not acknowledging its existence is that as good as standing as still as a tree?
    Yes, as long as you are walking slowly and purposefully while totally ignoring/not looking at the dog. No running - he might chase. Is your older toddler old enough to teach not to look at the dog? I'm asking cuz one of our dogs is TERRIFIED of children and for good reason - kids have those BIG STARING eyes which are very threatening to dogs who are afraid or aggressive.

eta: in this situation, continuing to move (slowly) may be better than standing still. The dog will charge you when you're right in his territory and by stopping, you are STILL in his territory and it may be more threatening to him even though you aren't interacting with him. If you continue to walk, you will become less of a threat as you leave his space. Also try to walk as far away from him as possible.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 04-24-2010 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Yes, as long as you are walking slowly and purposefully while totally ignoring/not looking at the dog. No running - he might chase.
    eta: in this situation, continuing to move (slowly) may be better than standing still. The dog will charge you when you're right in his territory and by stopping, you are STILL in his territory and it may be more threatening to him even though you aren't interacting with him. If you continue to walk, you will become less of a threat as you leave his space. Also try to walk as far away from him as possible.
    I also think it's better to keep walking away calmly. When my dog was a puppy, we used to walk the neighborhood. There was a German Shepherd that was trained as a police dog, but he needed some "remedial work". There was a cop who lived in our neighborhood keeping him at his house (why I don't know because the family had little children). Anyway, that dog was apparently hiding and watching us. As soon as we hit the property line, he charged just like you see when a K9 cop is taking down a suspect. Apparently one of the kids left the gate open - nice! He was on top of my dog in a second. Fortunately, my dog was very small (still a puppy) and since he was directly under that dog, the shepherd couldn't reach him. I reached under the dog (crazy, I know), picked up my dog, turned my back and started walking away calmly but quickly. I so wanted to run, but didn't dare! I didn't slow down or look back until I was a block away. That dog was just standing at the edge of their property staring at me. A neighbor saw the whole thing and went over to tell the owner. The owner never apologized or anything. *I* should have called animal control on THAT dog!

So, yes, turn your back, keep walking away and don't look back no matter how tempting it may be unless you can hear that he is right behind you. Then, I'd turn around and spray! However, before you go that way again, I'd call animal control and let them know about the problem so that hopefully, you can still walk that route and not be in fear.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast