Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Stages of puberty in girls - how long from breast buds to periods?

Literally from one day to the next, DD1 appears to be developing breast buds. She told me this evening it hurt under one of her "breasts" (totally flat chest). Sure enough, there was a little hard bump on one side, and I'm guessing this is the very first sign of puberty. She's about 6 weeks from her 10th birthday. I can't recall what the speed/sequence of puberty is and how soon to expect more significant changes like actual breasts, pubic/armpit hair and her period. I remember having minuscule breast buds at 10 and my period started at 11.5 which felt a bit earlier than other girls in my class.

For those of you whose daughters developed breast buds at about this age, how long till their period and first bra?

DD is pretty tall - 56 inches and about 65 lbs, slim but not skinny like her sister. She has a healthy appetite and is physically very active.

She's read the AG "care and keeping of you" book and "It's not the Stork" but I'm embarrassed to say we haven't actually talked about periods and the birds and bees. Guess I'd better get moving on that!

Would love any btdt perspectives on the puberty road ahead!
    Last edited by citymama; 01-22-2016 at 06:03 AM.

for Sandy Hook

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It was nearly two years for my DD from breast buds to period. She had pubic/armpit hair at age 6 (which apparently is completely unrelated to start of menstruation), breast buds at 8, period at 10. She was over 5 feet tall and 100 pounds when she started her period. Started wearing a bra way before that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My DD is the exact same age (turns 10 in March), and she started with breast buds last spring. No sign of pubic or armpit hair. I've heard two years from breastbuds to period. I just hope DDs doesn't arrive until late March of 2017 so she doesn't get it during swim season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by jren View Post
    It was nearly two years for my DD from breast buds to period. She had pubic/armpit hair at age 6 (which apparently is completely unrelated to start of menstruation), breast buds at 8, period at 10. She was over 5 feet tall and 100 pounds when she started her period. Started wearing a bra way before that though.
    So how long after breast buds appear do they start needing a bra? I was thinking I should buy some camis for DD to have in case she ever wants them - as I said, currently her chest looks completely like a little kid, but I am guessing that will (gradually??) change.

for Sandy Hook

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'll let you know. DD1 is 12, got buds maybe 1.5-2 years ago, she's 5'4" and 110lbs, no period yet. Probably happening any minute now though.

We got DD1 the cami-type bras about a 1.5 years ago. She still wears those although she could probably move onto more formed ones.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It was about 2 years for older DD as well.

She started wearing a bra about a year before that, more for the headlights issue that she found super embarrassing.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Nearly 3 years from buds in 4th grade to period in 7th grade.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

In broad theory, two years from buds, a year from hair. DD was longer than that - more like 2.5+ years and 18+ months. Having said that, there is some stuff I read that if under 100 pounds it's often delayed - independent of if under 100 pounds is a healthy weight or not. (DD has been 50th percentile weight and 25th percentile height since she was born. She has always looked slimmer than that, but is only 4' 11" at 12, is viewed by most as 'generally petite' - and still only 93 pounds.)

On the bras - DD started with just a cami, which was enough to provide another layer. She, and most of her friends, progressed to camis with a shelf bra (the junior ones at Target are the best we've found) and sports bras. Even though she's now a B cup, she only wears a 'real' bra under dresses - and they're still pretty stretchy.

DD has the Care and Keeping of You books. Very much her personality to want to read them alone, which she did. As she 'developed' more I bought all the supplies and we talked about them. When she got her period, she took care of everything. I told her the next day that I was a little sad she hadn't told me; she was confused as she knew what to do and took care of it. Made me feel much better that it was 'I was ready/knew what to do' not 'you would make too big of a deal, etc.' DD also found a video on YouTube - guessing it was created by a company, but was very factual and she liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by erosenst View Post
    In broad theory, two years from buds, a year from hair. DD was longer than that - more like 2.5+ years and 18+ months. Having said that, there is some stuff I read that if under 100 pounds it's often delayed - independent of if under 100 pounds is a healthy weight or not. (DD has been 50th percentile weight and 25th percentile height since she was born. She has always looked slimmer than that, but is only 4' 11" at 12, is viewed by most as 'generally petite' - and still only 93 pounds.)
    If you have a sec, could you post some links on this? My oldest will be 13 next week, but is very petite (less than 90 lbs, currently, and well under 5 ft.) She has some health issues that may also delay her period, but am wondering about the weight connection...
    Green Tea, mom to three

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast