Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We recently bought a house with a pool. We are not in the Midwest but do have 4 seasons. We swam until October and will probably be able to swim again April/May. We were not looking for a pool but I love having it. It is salt water, newer and completely automated so there is very little work. The age and type of pool and equipment will determine the work/expense needed. We did have a separate pool inspection before we bought the house.

We keep the pool open year round as winters are typically mild. We did heat it last weekend for DS’s Bday so he and his friends could swim. I don’t anticipate doing that often though. There is also a hot tub portion that we can heat and use separately.

We do not have much yard space however there is a large park in our neighborhood. It is also not a substitute for joining a pool for us. Our neighborhood pool is a 2 minute walk away and the kids love going there too and will do swim team there.

We also had a large lot before (4 acres) but were not in a neighborhood. My kids love being in a neighborhood and being able to ride bikes to friends houses or the park. They do not miss the yard at all and love having a pool. A lot of the playing seems to be in the culdesacs or at the park.

So I would say whether or not you would miss the yard would depend on what the setting is like and if there is a park close by.

Ooooooh I am following.

No real advice, but we were JUST about to buy a house with a pool and didn't (for other reasons). I hadn't been looking for a pool, but now of course, am hooked, UGH!

My friend who just put in a pool in our town (we are four seasons) told me absolutely not to. He said it was a ton of money and he wouldn't do it again. But of course, I'm not listening to him at this moment and just looking at how fun it looks.

The house we were going to buy had a really old pool (like 40 years old, maybe more) and it was kind of ugly (just pavement, a bit cracked up, and the tiles were really old fashioned). So... I think I might have ended up spending a lot on that pool renovation anyway. That being said, pools are so much fun over the summer and a NEW pool especially would be AWESOME!!!! My kids would LOVE to have one and invite their friends over!!!!

Just wanted to come back and add that we priced out a pool with our last house (midwest)... it was more of an executive home and lot (4 acres; mature trees, across from a golf course)... We didn't want to stay in that house because it was too much space and too much yard to take care of (and almost no kids nearby to play with), but if we would've stayed into retirement, it would've been great to have a pool. Anyhow, when I priced it out last summer with three different companies, it was $40-50K minimum (to get city permits, dig and install it, plus put in a fence, concrete sidewalk around it, redo/ install minimal landscaping, etc.). Of course, the price can go way up with a slide, water features, etc. Automatic pool cover was like $10K I think... etc.
    Anyhow, point is that putting in a pool is pretty pricey (often not possible/worth it), but if you can find a house you like that already has a pool, it's definitely more financially smart.
    Last summer we went to look at a house with a pool in our price range in our (really good) school district. Unfinished basement, house wasn't updated since it was built in the 80's, etc., etc., but it had multiple offers the first weekend it was on the market, as everyone was after that pool (for the price point).

I would definitely plan to heat it quite a bit in our climate... maybe ask friends/ neighbors in the area with pools what they pay on heating each year. And it helps if the house faces south or west... we put in a pool when I was in 5th grade (older siblings were in middle and high school by then, so unfortunately, we missed the window of most useful time to have it), and my parents never heated it because it was so expensive. Unfortunately, the back yard faced north, so we rarely swam in it because it just wasn't that warm.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ourbabygirl View Post
    Just wanted to come back and add that we priced out a pool with our last house (midwest)... it was more of an executive home and lot (4 acres; mature trees, across from a golf course)... We didn't want to stay in that house because it was too much space and too much yard to take care of (and almost no kids nearby to play with), but if we would've stayed into retirement, it would've been great to have a pool. Anyhow, when I priced it out last summer with three different companies, it was $40-50K minimum (to get city permits, dig and install it, plus put in a fence, concrete sidewalk around it, redo/ install minimal landscaping, etc.). Of course, the price can go way up with a slide, water features, etc. Automatic pool cover was like $10K I think... etc.
    Anyhow, point is that putting in a pool is pretty pricey (often not possible/worth it), but if you can find a house you like that already has a pool, it's definitely more financially smart.
    Last summer we went to look at a house with a pool in our price range in our (really good) school district. Unfinished basement, house wasn't updated since it was built in the 80's, etc., etc., but it had multiple offers the first weekend it was on the market, as everyone was after that pool (for the price point).

I would definitely plan to heat it quite a bit in our climate... maybe ask friends/ neighbors in the area with pools what they pay on heating each year. And it helps if the house faces south or west... we put in a pool when I was in 5th grade (older siblings were in middle and high school by then, so unfortunately, we missed the window of most useful time to have it), and my parents never heated it because it was so expensive. Unfortunately, the back yard faced north, so we rarely swam in it because it just wasn't that warm.
    I have said many times that I would have never gone through the hassle and expense of building a pool myself but since someone else went through that I will gladly take it! The rule of thumb here is that you will get 50% of the cost of the pool back when you sell the house. I know this varies by area.

I think your kids will love having a pool as long as there’s some place for them to build snow creatures and have snow play in the winter. That doesn’t require a big yard. Having a pool in the summer is great! We don’t have one at our house, and I’m glad, because I don’t want the expense, and here, the pool is a limiting feature for resale. My mother’s vacation home in our town does, though, and we use it often in the summer. If she ever sells that home, we might consider putting in a pool since we have plenty of room, but probably not. Here’s something to consider. Is there a popular public pool in your town? In ours, there is, and that’s where all the kids, even the ones with their own pools, tend to congregate in the summer. We have trouble getting kids to come to us to use the pool, because everyone wants to be at the public pool. My kids prefer to be in their own space with their own bathrooms, food, toys, etc., and I far prefer to read my kindle in peace than to have to be part of the public hubbub, so we don’t have a public pool membership. It does mean, though, that the pool is almost a detriment to their social lives in summer rather than a boon. It’s something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not in your situation (we live where you can use the pool for a solid 6 months out of the year) but you mentioned swim team...how big is this pool? Big/deep enough to swim laps? Otherwise, it's just a play pool.

I will say that even though we live close to many community pools, there is something to be said for being able to just walk straight out and into the pool and not have to pack towels, or even change (haha) - my kids will often walk in the door from school on a hot day, shed their shoes, and go straight into the pool in all of their clothes.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We’re just outside NYC and put in a pool when we moved in. It is expensive but such a nice luxury. When my guys were little, I would plan an activity for the morning and end our days in the pool. Now that they are older, I love how easy it is to have play dates outside. Swim and order a pizza - so easy. I keep it simple pizza or sandwiches and we’re done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2