Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Take nearly 5 year old to the new Spiderman: Into the Spider Verse movie?

I'm planning on taking DS1 to that movie next weekend when it opens, but I know DS2 will be mighty upset if he finds out I took his older brother there and not both of them. I just looked at common sense rating where it says 7+ for that movie...

it has violence in terms of cartoonish fighting and guns. Trying to decide whether it's appropriate for a near 5 year old?? he has seen the older Spiderman movies at home without fear and is a real Spiderman fan.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Seeing how I always subtract at least 2-4 years from Commonsense’s recommendations, I’d totally take ds2. But no personal experience. Just sounds like it wouldn’t be a stretch based on what he’s already seen. What does CSM rate the ones he’s seen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

IME, a 7+ rating on commonsense, I would absolutely take a 5 year old. My 7 year old can not stop talking about this movie. I have zero interest...sounds like a good father/son outing I'm willing to sacrifice and go see Aquaman though :P
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Has he been to movies like that in the theater before? That would figure into my answer. Theaters are more intimidating than home movies.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Seeing how I always subtract at least 2-4 years from Commonsense’s recommendations, I’d totally take ds2. But no personal experience. Just sounds like it wouldn’t be a stretch based on what he’s already seen. What does CSM rate the ones he’s seen?

He saw the Marvel Spider-Man movie at home, which is rated 7 plus and the Spider-Man the animated series, rated 9 plus.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Has he been to movies like that in the theater before? That would figure into my answer. Theaters are more intimidating than home movies.
    That was my thinking too, hence asking here. He saw many different versions of Spider-Man at home; movies and tv series. He’s been to the movie theatre 3x so far and the most “scary” movie out of all was the incredibles 2. Hard to judge how he’ll do in a dark theatre with all the sound effects etc. I would t have any clue how it sounds since I can’t hear to judge for myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’d probably take a 5 yr old. I have no desire to see this movie, but my DH is going to take the boys. I’ll go see the real marvel movies, but I’m passing on this one!

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We went to a screening last weekend and it was AMAZING! Some parts were a little scary/intense for my six year old/first grader, but he ended up loving it. OP, since you son has seen other Spider-Man movies without fear and is a big fan I’d take him too. I wouldn’t take a kid that isn’t excited about superheros or action because it’ll likely be too overwhelming. I can’t wait to see it again!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    We went to a screening last weekend and it was AMAZING! Some parts were a little scary/intense for my six year old/first grader, but he ended up loving it. OP, since you son has seen other Spider-Man movies without fear and is a big fan I’d take him too. I wouldn’t take a kid that isn’t excited about superheros or action because it’ll likely be too overwhelming. I can’t wait to see it again!
    Ooh. That’s good to hear. Maybe my three boys will like it. They’re huge fans. Thanks for sharing!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

I also tend to read the teen reviews now when looking for something for my DD1.

I would take your dh and or another adult with you just in case. We took Dds and some of Dd1’s friends to see Wonder Woman and dd2 was just 7 (iirc) and she isn’t phased by much, but she has me walk her out during the last 30 minutes. I was so glad we had a second adult.

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We aren't taking my six year old, DH is taking the 12 year old girls I think. We tend to be very conservative with media though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast