Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Is this ok?

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Our "teacher jail" is at the teacher's house. They are supposed to stay home between 8-2:30, but there is no way to enforce that. In my district teacher jail is a paid vacation.
    YEs. In some places like NYC, they are called "Temporary Re-Assignment Centers" or "Rubber Rooms". I think NY's ended in 2010. Here's a great article about it from the New Yorker:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...he-rubber-room

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Thank you all for confirming that I'm not overreacting to this. You are all correct, this is the same teacher who caused the allergic reaction and limited his bathroom despite 504 issues. I also just found out that she lied to DS about something. I just posted the other day about DS's handwriting issues. I've been in contact with the OT at school and she wants him to write with his left at home on homework and his right at school until we figure out which is his dominate hand. I was telling DS was he was supposed to do tonight and he said he knew, his teacher had told him. When I told him he was supposed to write with his left on his homework, he said she told him he was NOT to do any school work with his left hand and that he was only supposed to practice at home. I have the email, with her name on it, and that is not what it said. I did ask that he be moved after the other two issues and they wouldn't do it because they have all of the peanut allergies in there and don't want to move them all. We're going to have to fight this harder.

I just don't understand why she targets him. He's your ideal student. He's getting an award for being the top 3 scoring on state tests in his class and the art teacher just told me that she loves his personality. So it's not like he's unpleasant or struggling in school.
    Oh my God, get him out of there. I’ve complained at my school for lesser things. Don’t make him go back to school tomorrow and let him know you are there for him. Find another solution for him. Based on everything you say, she is emotionally and physically (the allergy situation she caused is scary) abusing him. Advocate for him and let him know you will not allow this to continue.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

OP my kiddo wouldn’t be going back to school tomorrow. Let him know you’re really on his side and promise to keep him safe from her. What a piece of work. Good luck to you and dh!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Our "teacher jail" is at the teacher's house. They are supposed to stay home between 8-2:30, but there is no way to enforce that. In my district teacher jail is a paid vacation.
    I'd rather a paid vacation than interacting with kids!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by magnoliaparadise View Post
    YEs. In some places like NYC, they are called "Temporary Re-Assignment Centers" or "Rubber Rooms". I think NY's ended in 2010. Here's a great article about it from the New Yorker:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...he-rubber-room
    My district had a rubber room too, but they got rid of it a few years ago and now teacher jail is at home. It had something to do with due process being denied. Now they have a certain time frame to investigate claims.

Thank you all for confirming that I'm not overreacting to this. You are all correct, this is the same teacher who caused the allergic reaction and limited his bathroom despite 504 issues. I also just found out that she lied to DS about something. I just posted the other day about DS's handwriting issues. I've been in contact with the OT at school and she wants him to write with his left at home on homework and his right at school until we figure out which is his dominate hand. I was telling DS was he was supposed to do tonight and he said he knew, his teacher had told him. When I told him he was supposed to write with his left on his homework, he said she told him he was NOT to do any school work with his left hand and that he was only supposed to practice at home. I have the email, with her name on it, and that is not what it said. I did ask that he be moved after the other two issues and they wouldn't do it because they have all of the peanut allergies in there and don't want to move them all. We're going to have to fight this harder.

I just don't understand why she targets him. He's your ideal student. He's getting an award for being the top 3 scoring on state tests in his class and the art teacher just told me that she loves his personality. So it's not like he's unpleasant or struggling in school.
    I don't understand why you are letting him return to her classroom. He's in elementary school, not high school. You aren't stuck needing the school for necessary childcare. Why do you keep sending him back to a woman who's abusing him and endangering him?

While I agree that this is not OK and there needs to be involvement from someone above the principal level at this point, I'm really concerned by the number of people here who seem to be passing judgement on the OP. She came here asking for confirmation that she isn't over reacting. I'm sure this is a very stressful situation for both her and her child. She needs our support, not judgement from people implying that she is somehow a bad mother if she doesn't immediately pull him from the school! None of us can know her specific situation and whether she can simply pull her child, so how about a little empathy and compassion rather than criticism. I've been blessed with an amazing teacher and a good team, but if this were the situation at my child's school I don't know what I'd do. Sometimes there isn't an easy option for "plan B". Truthfully, the situation is not good and needs to stop ASAP but I think jumping to the conclusion that it is "abuse" may be premature and he does not seem to be in imminent danger so if she wants to take a breath and decide how to proceed that shouldn't trigger judgement on here!

OP, I'm so sorry you and your child are having to deal with this. School problems are so stressful because you feel like it's out of your control to a large extent. I hope you are able to get some answers and changes made ASAP. You have my thoughts, prayers, and SUPPORT. Hugs.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by calebsmama03 View Post
    While I agree that this is not OK and there needs to be involvement from someone above the principal level at this point, I'm really concerned by the number of people here who seem to be passing judgement on the OP. She came here asking for confirmation that she isn't over reacting. I'm sure this is a very stressful situation for both her and her child. She needs our support, not judgement from people implying that she is somehow a bad mother if she doesn't immediately pull him from the school! None of us can know her specific situation and whether she can simply pull her child, so how about a little empathy and compassion rather than criticism. I've been blessed with an amazing teacher and a good team, but if this were the situation at my child's school I don't know what I'd do. Sometimes there isn't an easy option for "plan B". Truthfully, the situation is not good and needs to stop ASAP but I think jumping to the conclusion that it is "abuse" may be premature and he does not seem to be in imminent danger so if she wants to take a breath and decide how to proceed that shouldn't trigger judgement on here!

OP, I'm so sorry you and your child are having to deal with this. School problems are so stressful because you feel like it's out of your control to a large extent. I hope you are able to get some answers and changes made ASAP. You have my thoughts, prayers, and SUPPORT. Hugs.
    THANK YOU!! I was starting to feel very judged and had really just given up on replying to this thread after some of the last few messages.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

THANK YOU!! I was starting to feel very judged and had really just given up on replying to this thread after some of the last few messages.
    Big hugs. We were in a similar spot last year and DS1 was very much singled out and targeted by the teacher. We ultimately kept him there, although we technically could have pulled him home. There are many dynamics at play and it is not an easy situation when none of the options feel right. Also - being pushed into the situation of being the squeaky wheel stinks. My DH is a teacher and I was so, so aggravated that we were in a spot where we were constantly going to the principal to complain, despite the complaints being very legitimate (and substantiated - other parents were calling us to share concerns about DS1's treatment).

It's not easy, at all.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6