SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default 504 suggestions for HSer??

Hello...it's me again. We have DS's annual 504 review meeting tomorrow. It should be interesting, as Its high school AND the first year that he will actually be present. Surprise surprise, every year they try to take more and more away from his plan. I am sure high school will be no exception. For those who have gone through this with a freshman (and older), are there any things that you found that really helped specifically with high schoolers? I am going to address the usual stuff - sitting close to the front, smaller testing atmosphere for the tests (not short quizzes), EOG testing accommodations, and teachers notes available for when he cannot keep up in class. I am going to ask if he can get additional math exposure year-round (he only gets math one semester a year... CRAZY!). I am also going to ask if he can have the organizational tutoring that is available for those with an IEP. Can you think of anything else that might help my freshman kiddo?? High school is a new experience for our family. I really want him to start off strong with a good base and support. Thank you so much in advance (I hope).
    Last edited by SASM; 10-11-2017 at 07:33 PM.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If he's super forgetful, ask about having a set of class textbooks to keep at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    If he's super forgetful, ask about having a set of class textbooks to keep at home.

That’s a good idea! He never brings textbooks home. Takes note from teachers’ webpages and that’s it.

Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm watching this with interest. DS1 is in 8th grade and they've given him basically no modifications for ADHD. He has a 504 plan that's pretty protective for his type 1 diabetes. They keep telling me "trust us--he's ready and doesn't need any help" but he DOES. I think your post is giving me the inspiration to fight for it. Anyway, your list of accommodations is super helpful. I wish you the best of luck but I can't think of anything else to add to your great list!