Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default California Wildfires

I don’t know how California can continue to prosper with these wildfires! Stemming almost entirely from hot, dry winds that are unavoidable we are seeing gigantic fires despite all precautions. I’ve been without power for almost 12 hours today as a precaution and this is the second time this month. It is disruptive though it could be a lot worse. This time a neighbor is sharing a generator so our fridge is keeping cool. And we certainly aren’t cold! But we can’t work on computers, we don’t have hot water. We can’t cook food and have to use lanterns!

Still, so many are being evacuated. Homes are being destroyed and even lives are lost. So I feel a little bad complaining. But since this is happening with regular frequency now, (one report said there’s no “fix” for the electrical problems for a decade or more!) it doesn’t quite feel like a first world country!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It’s scary/sad that every time we get high winds, we have fires. I thought with the record amount of rain we got this winter, it wouldn’t be so bad this year.

On a good note, lausd learned a lesson from last time, or more than likely decided they couldn’t afford another round of bad publicity, and have already closed all schools in the valley for tomorrow. I was dreading another day like we had two weeks ago where we had to walk around campus with ash raining on us.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We are an hour south of the valley and it smells here today. I am not sure if it from the fires in the valley or the fires in San Bernardino. Dh’s grandma lives about 4 miles from the SB fire but is okay, she is 98 though so we do worry about her living by herself but hopefully she is staying inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh dear! Thought about y’all when I heard the news this AM about the winds and outages.
    K

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    We are an hour south of the valley and it smells here today. I am not sure if it from the fires in the valley or the fires in San Bernardino. Dh’s grandma lives about 4 miles from the SB fire but is okay, she is 98 though so we do worry about her living by herself but hopefully she is staying inside.
    I bet it's from San Bernadino. I thought I'd smell the Santa Clarita fires today where I am in Burbank, but it actually isn't bad at all (or maybe I'm getting used to it, ugh!)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    I bet it's from San Bernadino. I thought I'd smell the Santa Clarita fires today where I am in Burbank, but it actually isn't bad at all (or maybe I'm getting used to it, ugh!)
    Yep, me too. I don't smell anything at all today and I'm 2 miles from the Sepulveda Basin fire that is now out. I also didn't smell anything yesterday until late at night even though we could see all the smoke from the Santa Clarita fire when I was picking up DS2 from school in North Hills.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    Yeah I’m in Glendale and I don’t smell anything. I could see smoke as drove home from work yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    It’s scary/sad that every time we get high winds, we have fires. I thought with the record amount of rain we got this winter, it wouldn’t be so bad this year.

On a good note, lausd learned a lesson from last time, or more than likely decided they couldn’t afford another round of bad publicity, and have already closed all schools in the valley for tomorrow. I was dreading another day like we had two weeks ago where we had to walk around campus with ash raining on us.
    Yes I heard that as drove into work today. So glad they closed schools. It didn’t affect my school as I’m in the East.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The smoke in the valley was not bad today. No where near as bad as it was 2 weeks ago when they kept schools open and it was raining ash on us. I’m sure parents will be complaining that they closed for nothing, but I still think it was the right call. I work in the northern most part of the valley and half our staff lives in Santa Clarita and was either evacuated or would have had difficulties getting to work. Plus fires are so unpredictable who knows which way they could blow when the winds kick up.

The only thing I’m upset about is all of my work that I take home on the weekends is at school. When I left yesterday I never thought we’d be closed today. We asked the principal if he could open for us for a short time today so we could go pick up our stuff, but he said no one was allowed on campus. He told us to relax for the weekend instead of working.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    The only thing I’m upset about is all of my work that I take home on the weekends is at school. When I left yesterday I never thought we’d be closed today. We asked the principal if he could open for us for a short time today so we could go pick up our stuff, but he said no one was allowed on campus. He told us to relax for the weekend instead of working.
    Oh, that is a bummer. My campus cancelled classes due to a power outage one day last week, and I had left stuff I really needed to do before the following day at my office. I was eventually able to find out that my specific building had power so I went and worked for a little bit there and took some stuff home. But I wouldn’t have been able to get in the front door with the power out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast