Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Help with maxi skirts/ dresses

Somehow I missed the whole maxi skirt/ dress trend and just saw a couple of people wearing them a few days ago. I am barely 5'2. Will I look silly/ frumpy in one? They look like maybe they are for long/ lean people? If I can wear one, is a dress or skirt better? Any favorites you can link? And I should add that something I can wear in Florida in the spring would be awesome! TIA
    Last edited by Pilotbaby; 03-12-2015 at 12:01 PM.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm 5'2" and petite as well and I have a very hard time finding maxis that fit me Most are way too long unless it is petite sizing. But, I happened upon a striped maxi skirt at Target in the kid section in clearance and picked it up to try. It is a sz. 14/16 and fits great! Length is too my ankles but not sweeping on the floor, so its safe to wear with flats or flip flops. So now I've had my eye out in the kid section when I am shopping for the girls (I also have been known to buy tops from the kid section too at ON, way cheaper than adult prices!)

The kid sized one I got from Target was Cherokee brand, here it one similar (mine is different colorway - navy w/ pink stripes. I've also seen other colors in store):
    http://www.target.com/p/girls-stripe...=cherokee+maxi

I ordered this skirt a few days ago from Target, waiting for it to come. Reviews said it fit OK on 5'2" women:
    http://www.target.com/p/maxi-skirt-m...erm=maxi+skirt
    Last edited by ang79; 03-12-2015 at 03:26 PM.

lol- thank you. I will look online and see if they have any
    Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    I'm 5'2" and petite as well and I have a very hard time finding maxis that fit me Most are way too long unless it is petite sizing. But, I happened upon a striped maxi skirt at Target in the kid section in clearance and picked it up to try. It is a sz. 14/16 and fits great! Length is too my ankles but not sweeping on the floor, so its safe to wear with flats or flip flops. So now I've had my eye out in the kid section when I am shopping for the girls (I also have been known to buy tops from the kid section too at ON, way cheaper than adult prices!)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm 5'1" and have a few maxi dresses and 1 skirt. The skirt is from the petite section of Macy's and the dresses are petite from Gap. For the dresses I prefer to have something with a defined waist. Both the Gap maxi's I have have an elastic waist with a bow/drawstring. This keeps me from looking like I'm wearing a tent or a little girl playing dress up in mom's clothes. I tend to wear them with a platform wedge shoe to give me more height.

I did have to have the Gap dresses hemmed, even in the petite length. I've also seen (and tried a few times) to do a small knot at the bottom side if I wish to wear them with ballet flats or flat sandals. That way they don't drag on the ground.
    Last edited by wendibird22; 03-12-2015 at 12:30 PM.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I am 5'4" and pear shaped (heavy on bottomr). I've had some luck with maxi skirts, but not much. I have tried on at least a dozen skirts and only own one that I think looks good on me (and one maxi dress). I think the trick to making the skirts look good at least for me, is the wear a more fitted shirt on top if the skirt has some fullness to it. Same goes for midi skirts which are becoming popular now.

Anthropologie has a bunch of both right now and most come in petite sizes. Sign up for emails because anthro has decent sales and that is the time to buy (anthro is expensive, IMO).
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No offense to those who like them, but I think they look silly/frumpy on even long lean people.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I'm 5'1" and have a few maxi dresses and 1 skirt. The skirt is from the petite section of Macy's and the dresses are petite from Gap. For the dresses I prefer to have something with a defined waist. Both the Gap maxi's I have have an elastic waist with a bow/drawstring. This keeps me from looking like I'm wearing a tent or a little girl playing dress up in mom's clothes. I tend to wear them with a platform wedge shoe to give me more height.

I did have to have the Gap dresses hemmed, even in the petite length. I've also seen (and tried a few times) to do a small knot at the bottom side if I wish to wear them with ballet flats or flat sandals. That way they don't drag on the ground.
    Thank you! The Gap ones are just what I am looking for. Do you mind if I ask you what size you get petites at 5'1? I am trying to order online and have no idea where to start. The ones they have now are spaghetti straps. Strapless bra? No bra?

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilotbaby View Post
    Thank you! The Gap ones are just what I am looking for. Do you mind if I ask you what size you get petites at 5'1? I am trying to order online and have no idea where to start. The ones they have now are spaghetti straps. Strapless bra? No bra?
    I believe mine are PS. I have 1 tank and 1 cap sleeve. I'm a 32DD so I can't do anything that I can't wear my regular bra with.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I believe mine are PS. I have 1 tank and 1 cap sleeve. I'm a 32DD so I can't do anything that I can't wear my regular bra with.
    Thanks so much! If the small is long enough on you, it will probably be fine on me too. Thanks again for your help!

94bruin is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm eyeing some maxi dresses from Boden. A bit pricey, but they've got good reviews. Haven't jumped on the maxi train, but I think I will this year.
    DD1 2005
    DD2 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast