Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default bedtime for 4 month old - what time?

what time does/did your 4 month old go to sleep?

DD is still not really napping on a schedule, so without fail she will end up exhausted at around 6:30. i'll nurse her and put her down, but the last few nights she's trying to make this sleep period be more like a nap - ready to get up and play at 7:30

i have trying to enforce the bedtime feeling at that point - lights kept very low, i restrict engagement, not playing, soft voice, willing to nurse but that's about it. and she will ultimately go back to sleep by about 8. but it's driving me nuts b/c obviously if she's tired enough to end up asleep by 8...and often she rejects the offer to nurse, so she's not hungry... she clearly could just be going to sleep. rather than having this 30-50 min period of wakefulness

any ideas?

thanks
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm pretty sure DD wasn't going to bed until around 9ish at 4 months. If I recall, she would generally take a cat nap on me after nursing around 6 or 6:30. Then her bedtime pretty quickly started moving back toward 8, and she has probably been going down around 7:30 for the past month or so.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We moved DD into her own room at 4 mo and IIRC she was going to bed not long before us...so most likely between 9 and 10p. She would nap around dinner time and then we would keep her up a little so that she wasn't waking as much when I was trying to sleep.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD took a nap between 5 and 6:30 for about 30 mins at that age. We did bedtime at 8.

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We started putting 5-month-old DD2 down at the same time as DD1 at about 2-3 months, and it's a pretty solid routine by now. We aim for 6:30 bath, 7:00 in bed with lights out, but sometimes we run a bit late and it's closer to 7:30 lights out, or rarely even 8. We give the girls a bath together (baby in the baby tub, DD1 in the big tub), which makes things easier.

ETA: We don't have a super strict nap routine, but we make sure she doesn't nap any later than 5 or else she'll be too jazzed to go to bed on time. If she's super tired and grumpy by 6/6:30, we'll try to be really fun to keep her engaged, so we'll take a walk or play music & dance with her, something that she loves.

SkyrMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS is nursing then snoozing right about dinner time, 5:30/6 for only a half hour or so. And bedtime starts at 7; bath or lotion massage depending on the day, pjs & sleepsack, nursing, burps & bed. Once he's down he's usually down for good, but sometimes he wakes about 45 minutes later and cries, I go in and rub his head and sing quiet, but don't pick him up. Usually he settles back down in 10 minutes or so.
    DD 4/09 DS 8/12

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

thanks, guys

right now DD is generally napping around 4ish and up at 5ish

i usually get her into bath by 5:30 and then DS gets in around 6. i've been trying to stretch her to stay awake until 7, but she can't make it. she gets way too fussy

so i'll nurse her while DS is getting on his pjs and having stories read. i put her down and she will pass right out. for the last two weeks she would fall asleep and stay asleep.

but now the past three days, she is popping back awake 30-60 min later. gah!
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS is 7 months and we are going through this again. He is napping poorly (what else is new) and then will just conk out at like he is going to bed at 6 or so. I will put him down and then he will wake up in an hour or so, but really sleepy until he goes to bed for real a bit later. NOT a good schedule.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

10-11 pm. Night owls here.

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    10-11 pm. Night owls here.
    Yeah that! That was the way it was around here too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Tara

DS - B 2/10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast