Default Updated post 8: Which diapers to try overnight for 3yo with super sensitive skin?

We switched to cloth diapers a long time ago, when my oldest was a baby. They've been great for us, until Dd2 hit toddlerhood. She potty trained around 17 months because her poor skin was constantly irritated in diapers. She did ok for quite awhile, but now at 3.5 she is waking up in the middle of the night asking for a dry diaper and her skin is constantly pink. I'd like to try disposables and see if they help, but one of the reasons we switched to cloth was to avoid chemicals.

So, out of the chemical-free or lower chemical diapers, what should I try for overnight? And what size? She is around 33lb with a skinny waist and bum but very tall. I'm eyeing Honest diapers because they are so cute - searching here showed only old threads from 2013 but I'm guessing the diapers have changed since then. Thanks!
    Last edited by MommyAllison; 07-15-2015 at 01:01 PM.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MommyAllison View Post
    We switched to cloth diapers a long time ago, when my oldest was a baby. They've been great for us, until Dd2 hit toddlerhood. She potty trained around 17 months because her poor skin was constantly irritated in diapers. She did ok for quite awhile, but now at 3.5 she is waking up in the middle of the night asking for a dry diaper and her skin is constantly pink. I'd like to try disposables and see if they help, but one of the reasons we switched to cloth was to avoid chemicals.

So, out of the chemical-free or lower chemical diapers, what should I try for overnight? And what size? She is around 33lb with a skinny waist and bum but very tall. I'm eyeing Honest diapers because they are so cute - searching here showed only old threads from 2013 but I'm guessing the diapers have changed since then. Thanks!
    Its been a while but I used seventh generation & Earths best I THINK Earth's best worked better for us and they made pull ups too.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My DD1 had super sensitive skin and wore 7th Generation, Kirkland, or Huggies Supreme until she potty trained (we tried Earth's Best as well and didn't like them as much, but that was in 2008 or 2009), but she did fine at night in Huggies Overnites, and then we later switched her to the Kirkland diapers full time and then once she was day trained she wore Pampers Easy Ups at night and had no issues with them until she was just shy of 5/1/2 and finally night trained.

The sizing of 7th Generation diapers starting at size 6 seemed to run small for DD1 (and most people say 7th Gen. Runs a whole size small....15lb 6 mos old DD2 wore a size 4 where as she was a solid size 3 in other brands until almost a year old), even though at 2/1/2 she was maybe 25lbs and the prices weren't nearly as good as they had been when she wore a size 4 or 5 7th G. diaper, plus you got way less diapers like 80 for $40 (even with ship & save w/Amazon vs. getting 120 or so for $36 in size 4 or 5). On a whim we switched to Costco and never really looked back, except when we traveled and wanted a smaller pack we used Huggies Supreme (now Little Movers) if we had to buy more when we were out. Neither of my DDs ever wore a size 6 diaper and we're both about 30-33lbs at 3/1/2.

Probably not the answer you wanted, but just wanted to let you know that some regular brands of diapers worked as well. Good luck!
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We use abena bambo diapers after we got out of cloth. DD (3) is still wearing them at night. She's 37lbs and wears size 6. Quite absorbent - they worked much better than 7th generation or earth's best for us. They are quite pricey though.

http://www.amazon.com/Bambo-Nature-P...dp/B00EKRCJ44/

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    We use abena bambo diapers after we got out of cloth. DD (3) is still wearing them at night. She's 37lbs and wears size 6. Quite absorbent - they worked much better than 7th generation or earth's best for us. They are quite pricey though.

http://www.amazon.com/Bambo-Nature-P...dp/B00EKRCJ44/
    Love Bambo - this is my first choice, Honest, then Earth's best. Size 6 sounds about right.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Thank you all! I think I'll try small packages of a few and see what works best.

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    Love Bambo - this is my first choice, Honest, then Earth's best. Size 6 sounds about right.
    Size 6 for all brands, or Bambo only? If just for Bambo, which size would you recommend in the other brands?

ETA: Just ordered some Honest diapers in size 6. Fingers crossed!
    Last edited by MommyAllison; 06-02-2015 at 02:49 PM.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Quote Originally Posted by MommyAllison View Post
    Thank you all! I think I'll try small packages of a few and see what works best.

Size 6 for all brands, or Bambo only? If just for Bambo, which size would you recommend in the other brands?

ETA: Just ordered some Honest diapers in size 6. Fingers crossed!
    You are probably fine in size 6 with Honest. DD2 is in a size 5 at 26lbs.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Just updating that we have been using Honest diapers at night for about 6 weeks and they are great! DD2's skin looks perfect and the absorbancy is plenty for her (though she isn't a heavy wetter). I'd recommend them!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11