Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best newborn diaper??

I already stocked up on Huggies Snug & Dry in size 1-2 for our November 2010 baby boy, but which kind of diapers do you recommend in newborn size and how many (100?) for him for the early days when he doesn't yet fit into the 1-2 size? I know that Huggies has a line of diapers that's good for not touching the umbilical cord stump...not sure if those are necessary or there is a better option. Thanks!!

I really liked the Pampers NB swaddlers. I can't remember how many we went through, but she was in them for around 4-6 weeks.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Do you have the receipts for what you bought? I advise not stocking up on anything. You never know how a certain brand or style will work for your baby. Some just fit better. Some disposables have different chemicals and scents that can irritate baby. Best to start with small quantities of diapers and do some trial and error. What works for people on here may not work for your baby. If you want to pay the $ now so you can budget for diapers you can always buy gift cards that you know you can use for diapers later.

We used Seventh Generation and Pampers' Swaddlers with ds2. I don't think the cut out is necessary for the stump.

Beth

Default Best newborn diaper??

I didn't buy that many actually and it was a very good deal ($17.50 for 192, recent Amazon.com/Parenting magazine promo deal). I see your point though re: not stocking up excessively. I actually now only want to get some in newborn size and that's it, not any of the bigger sizes. I am trying to be prepared more than anything else because my husband won't get a bonding leave from his startup and I'll be alone with the kiddo during my maternity leave.

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Some babies never wear newborn diapers. The hospital didn't even have them available when DD#2 was born! They just used size one, and folded down the front so that it wouldn't affect the cord stump.

I had one pkg of NB and one of size 1 waiting for me at home. I ended up buying several more pkgs of NB, but I don't think most people do. I'd do that again.

Since you've already bought some, if you end up with unused ones, they would be a welcome gift when a friend has a baby.

I use Parents' Choice from Walmart. I like them better than Luvs and don't have to worry about the Dry Max chemicals.
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I used newborn size for about 3 to 4 weeks, and my baby was 8 lbs when he was born. I used Huggies pure and natural, pampers swaddlers sensitive and 7th generation. I liked them all but if I had to choose I would pick the huggies. I liked the fit, they were a bit bigger than the other 2 brands. I guess I used the nb size for so long bc even when my baby hit 9 pounds and I tried the 1's on him they seemed way too big. I switched when he hit 10 pounds. HTH.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Next time I would buy Huggies pure & natural huggies supreme. Swaddlers were prone to blow outs early on.

lilycat88 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DS never wore a newborn diaper. He left the delivery room in a size 1.
    I'm not a fan of the Huggies Snug and Dry but we do like the Little Snugglers. The Snug and Dry in a size 1 never seemed to work on DS and the only leaks we've had were in those. He's 8 weeks old and we're moving to size 2 Little Snugglers now. We still have a few size 1s but only put them on him at home where a leak isn't a big deal. We're also big fans of the Walgreens Premium diapers for the first couple of months. They tend to get really "puffy" now as his urine output has increased but for those early weeks where you're changing diapers every time you turn around, I loved only spending $.06 a diaper. And, they are actually softer/less stiff than either of the Huggies.
    Last edited by lilycat88; 08-16-2010 at 12:15 AM.
    Susanna 6/29/04
    James 6/15/10

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Loved the NB Pampers swaddlers - we got the Sensitive kind w/o Drymax. DD was in them for 2-3 weeks.

for Sandy Hook

Thanks everyone. How interesting, I am starting to discover that diaper preferences among moms are sort of like...perfume...or purses....there are so many favorites and one mom's favorite may be another mom's least favorite

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast