Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Moneypenny View Post
    it was only after I told her that she had no choice because it's a medical issue and we need to deal with medical issues in our life whether we want to or not. She finally admitted that she was just reluctant to admit that she had this problem and kept hoping it would just go away.
    This is such great advice and probably doesn’t get attention in our society as much as it should- Dealing with health problems before they become a big deal. I have 80 year old aunts who constantly tell me, “it’ll probably just go away on its own.” If kids can learn to be proactive about their health, and comfortable talking to medical professionals earlier on, they will be so much better off in life. This doesn’t just apply to getting glasses or dealing with acne, but mental health, sexual health responsibility, as well as healthy lifestyle choices. Learning to think about it and deal with early can save lives AND money.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thank you again everybody! Such reassuring and helpful words of advice. I’m going to talk to her again this evening, after a physical therapy appt so I don’t risk upsetting her before that. But we’re going to the dermatologist because it’s a medical issue and it’s my job to help her deal with medical issues just like any other medical issue. We’ll grab Starbucks or ice cream after to make a date of it.

The doctor is a male which might have worried me except the receptionist’s reaction when she found the appointment was reassuring. She’s initially said they were booking in August and then found a cancellation in two weeks. She said, “Oh, you’ll love Michael so and so. He’s my favorite.” And then I also thought it might be less intimidating than a beautiful flawless woman. Given how hard it is to find appointments I don’t think I can risk passing on this one.

I think she’ll be OK with doing the treatment. She uses her current stuff pretty consistently, minus weekends/holidays where she gets lazy. I just think we need to try something more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Sounds like a good situation now. I just want to point out, my kids get particularly petulant if I'm the one taking to the doctor- they hear it as "Doctor, let me tell you everything that's wrong with my son". So maybe a call ahead to have the doctor already apprised of the situation so that the advice is coming from him without you having to point it out.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    This is such great advice and probably doesn’t get attention in our society as much as it should- Dealing with health problems before they become a big deal. I have 80 year old aunts who constantly tell me, “it’ll probably just go away on its own.” If kids can learn to be proactive about their health, and comfortable talking to medical professionals earlier on, they will be so much better off in life. This doesn’t just apply to getting glasses or dealing with acne, but mental health, sexual health responsibility, as well as healthy lifestyle choices. Learning to think about it and deal with early can save lives AND money.
    Yes, to Moneypenny and Gator! It's so easy to ignore things.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4