Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default (update #32) what kind of clothes fit & flatter a person with..

..a really big tummy? like as in, looks 6 months preggo but isn't? i'm having MAJOR trouble finding anything to wear that a) fits and b) looks even *remotely* flattering.

the thing is, this will be the first fall/winter in three years that i'm NOT actually pregnant. however, right now, the only things in my closet that fit me are my maternity clothes (i am 30 lbs above pre-kids weight, 99% of pre-kids clothes don't fit at all). there are a few maternity pieces that are nice (that i splurged and got from Pea in the Pod when i was preg with DD.. Joe's Jeans, a couple long sleeve Vneck tops, and a sweater), but most of it is rather cheap, frumpy-looking stuff. The other problem is that a lot of my maternity clothes draw attention to the tummy, which of course I do not want now.

anyway, seems like a lot of folks here have a lot of fashion sense and are aware of various types of brands (e.g. i never even heard of Boden before BBB)so i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, maybe what brands or style of clothing, or whatever.

if it' helps, i'm 5'6" and pre-preg I used to wear size 4/6 pants and size Medium tops (sometimes Small) from J Crew, Banana, Ann Taylor, etc. Nowadays, I can barely fit into their size L tops or size 12 pants (i think the largest size?), so I don't even bother anymore. Even when i find a pair of pants/jeans that I can button around the waist, they're RIDICIOUSLY baggy in the butt & thighs and just looks bad (i had this problem even before getting pregnant and gaining weight, but now it's 1000x worse).

Anyway, sorry this is long, help or advice would be appreciated. Now that the weather is finally starting to cool down I really want to start shopping for stuff that is actually somewhat flattering (if that exists...) I would love to be able to go out wearing something nice and not have people asking me when my baby is due!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 10-03-2011 at 09:27 PM.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The one thing I noticed when I had the still-preggo-looking belly is that the Bravado nursing tanks did the best job of somehow hiding the belly. I wondered why so I took it out and laid it flat - it's because it has an A-line shape from the bra band down AND because it is longer in length AND because it's a thicker cotton that isn't clingy. So maybe looking for clothes (at least first layers) with those qualities?

And since fall/winter is coming up, take advantage of layers. I'm thinking of all the trench coats, ponchos, sweater vests, etc in GP's thread

And I wonder if you have a diastasis? Everyone I know who has one has the still-preggo-looking belly. I have one too but my OB closed it up as much as he could during my c-section (I need to go back and hug him), as I can tell that if he hadn't - my tummy would be FAR worse off.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Btdt. I found blazers worked well long tunics also. Anything not tummy hugging. Rouched tops were good. Solids. Vnecks were also popular for me ( good boobs distracted was my theory). I had 2 sections. I was asked when ibwas due when ds2 was 6 months old. I was not happy.

Hugs.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hey Ms.Pacman, I saw your pics that you posted and you are gorgeous! You look especially great in that black dress!

Here's some tips for dressing the "adorable apple" body type (that's what I am and I think that sounds like what you are too?):
    http://youlookfab.com/2010/05/10/how...ody-type-2010/

Avoid empire waists and clingy jersey tops. They are deadly for being mistaken for being pregnant. I also find that clingy pencil skirts really highlight the tummy...thicker A line skirts are much better. Ruching is great. Also, try some capes/ponchos and skinny jeans or leggings!

Maybe you could go to Nordstrom and book a session with a personal shopper? It's free. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like a great idea.
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

thx for the replies

how do you know if you have diastasis?? i've heard of it, but i don't know if i have it.

i have several Bravado nursing tanks, though i've never noticed anything about hiding the tummy. i think the problem i have may be different from most..i've never had a c-section, so i don't have any loose skin or an overhang over a scar. the skin on my tummy is actually really tight, just like a person who is actually pregnant. sort of an extremely bloated look..not sure if that makes any sense. so i don't think there's anything i can really wear (besides a corset) that could actually begin to hide it or smooth it out (or maybe that's what i need to wear, like Spanx?)

the ponchos/capes in that one thread looked amazing, but i'm wondering, how do you juggle wearing that plus dealing 2 little ones? e.g. can you wear a purse over your shoulder at all?

goldenpig, thanx for the link. and that personal shopper idea is really good, i may have to head over to Nordstrom. i think i really need 1:1 advice from a professional or something. i am just so frustrated and overwhelmed! ugh, it's time like these when i'm incredibly jealous of my DH...happy wearing the same three Tshirts and cargo pants all year long...
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 09-25-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Get a good bra. It doesn't have to be the most expensive but it needs to fit well, have good shape and provide wonderful support. Combine the bra with some shirts that show your collarbone (vneck, boat neck, etc) and skim over the belly vs clinging to it.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    thx for the replies

how do you know if you have diastasis?? i've heard of it, but i don't know if i have it.
    Here's info on checking for a diastasis:
    http://www.maternalfitness.com/diast....html#checking

I think you need lots of time (haha) to go shopping and try lots of things on to see what looks best And ITA that men have it E.A.S.Y.

Well I'm no fashion expert, and I've never even shopped at Anthropologie before, but I was browsing their website and they have some nice tops with ruching that might work well (although I'm wondering if ruching might be a little maternity looking too?)
    http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/...pe=subCategory

this one might be too fitted-

Also, I think busier prints kinda camoflauge the tummy- in the picture you posted in the fahion thread, you were wearing a printed top, and there was no visible tummy at all! Here's one maybe:

Also, I wonder if belts would be good for you. I know it sounds funny to wear a belt when you have a tummy, but I have seen people do it and it can be flattering. Noone will think you're pregnant, thats for sure! Here's one with a belt "built in"

Heres a couple more that might hide your tummy-

And I agree with PP that layering would be great for you.

Good luck!
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Here's info on checking for a diastasis:
    http://www.maternalfitness.com/diast....html#checking

I think you need lots of time (haha) to go shopping and try lots of things on to see what looks best And ITA that men have it E.A.S.Y.
    thanks for the link!!

i tried the check for diastasis and i could barely fit 2 fingers in..i could fit one for sure but not that deep at all..so i guess that means i don't have it? little consolation though, i still have a huge belly that sticks out. i guess i can only hope that some/most of it will go away once i wean DD and start losing weight..

and i signed up for the personal shopper thing at Nordstrom. hope i can get DH to watch the kiddos one day and i can at least spend a lot of time trying stuff on and seeing what works and what doesn't...

and i do want to check out Anthropologie as well. that one thread was really inspiring, i love the colors and styles. i am kinda scared though, most of the stuff looks really pricey..i almost never spend more than $30 on tops, for example. maybe though i can find a couple things that really work and that will be better than having a hundred things that don't work!!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 09-25-2011 at 11:42 PM.

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Let us know if you learn any cool tricks, Ms. Pacman!

I have been thinking about starting this thread for a couple of weeks. . . except my baby is 15 months, I now weigh less than before my first pregnancy, I am a smaller dress size than before my first pregnancy. . . and I still get the "another on the way?!" question at least every other week. Yes, I'm pretty discouraged.

I have a very short torso; my breasts are fairly small, especially considering that I'm still nursing; my midwife confirmed that I do NOT have diastasis; and when I needed gallbladder surgery, the surgeon said exercise wouldn't help. I have a noticeable waist, but these days it seems to be just a little lower than my breasts. Many low-rise pants are hard to keep up when I'm active. My husband says I look pretty good from the back. . . .

The comments usually come when I'm carrying the baby. . . when I hold her on my hip, it's even harder to stand up straight and hold my stomach in. . . not that I can hold in in much. No C-sections here, either. Tummy-control underwear makes me feel sick to my stomach after a short time, but if I lay on my back the tummy does go in some.

My mom says my stomach is slowly shrinking, and that each menstrual cycle will help. I don't know if that's true or not.

A big to all of you dealing with this, and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!
    Last edited by MoJo; 09-26-2011 at 07:15 AM.
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast