Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid vaccine

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Covid vaccine

My SIL (who is a nurse), just texted that a pharmacy in her area has tons of available vaccine appts for today and over the weekend and that they only ask for your date of birth when you go (her husband went). Our state is not yet open to everyone and DH and I are in the last 2 levels, set to open by April 19. The online registration form does ask you to self certify that you are on the current eligible category. So I feel like I shouldn’t lie, but on the other hand there are a ton of appointments open, and if they aren’t being used, why not use one? While I don’t mind waiting my turn for a few more weeks, I’m a bit worried that if I am honest and wait until it opens up to everyone that it will actually be harder to get one because the systems will be overwhelmed trying to fit everyone in. Also, this clinic is for the Moderna vaccine and as a 41 yr. old woman I’m worried I fall into the category of worst for side affects from Moderna, so was kinda holding out hope to get Pfizer. Thoughts? I’m thinking maybe wait until Friday and if there are still Friday evening appointments available snag one then, as it likely won’t be used by that point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would call the pharmacy, explain you aren't technically eligible yet but would like to get on the "waste list" if there is one - let them know your contact info and that you can get there within 30 min if they have vaccine thawed that would otherwise go unused. I wouldn't feel good about lying - if you lie and get an appointment, they will thaw vaccine for you assuming you are eligible (which could actually create more waste). But if they really have a ton available that they need to use, you'd hope they have a strategy in place to make sure that any thawed vaccine gets used!

Moderna vs Pfizer side effects is really anecdotal at this point. I'd take either.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

This is a tough one- our state is also not open to all, but some of our mass vax sites have tons of open appointments- I know plenty of people who have gotten their shots and are not eligible, and at this point I really think the goal should be to administer as much vaccine as possible- not sure why the governor is dragging his feet. Calling the pharmacy is a good idea-If it is close to you even heading over there at the end of the day might work.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ugh, that is tough! I generally am a rule follower, but the availability and knowing every vaccinated person acts as wall for virus spread, I am wavering with you!

I went through a little bit of this. Our state had a phase that included agriculture and I technically could get vaccinated. However, I am not face to face with anyone. Plenty of my friends were refreshing browsers every few minutes to find an opening and I did not feel right doing that. I waited a couple of weeks and kept track of availability. When it looked like there were plenty of openings, I scheduled mine and got my second shot on Saturday. Now my state is open to everyone 16 and older!

I am guessing a bit here, but I think in most states the frontline/health care workers and those with serious underlying conditions have had a good opportunity by now. If this was January/February and you asked this I would have said no even with open appointments. But vaccine supply is becoming less of an issue and I think your plan of booking it late is good. If the appointments are there, I would take it.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Agree to calling for the waitlist. Also, like and follow the pharmacy on social media. I can tell you from experience, if they do not have enough people, they will open it up to all quickly (like, not Friday). That is especially true if it is not a big chain pharmacy. Our family, coworkers, several friends, etc... were all inoculated at nearby independent pharmacies in the same manner a week before eligibility. There were several sites in our state that had the state approval to open up to the next stage if they weren't getting enough appointments in the current one to use up what they had.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I would call the pharmacy, explain you aren't technically eligible yet but would like to get on the "waste list" if there is one - let them know your contact info and that you can get there within 30 min if they have vaccine thawed that would otherwise go unused. I wouldn't feel good about lying - if you lie and get an appointment, they will thaw vaccine for you assuming you are eligible (which could actually create more waste). But if they really have a ton available that they need to use, you'd hope they have a strategy in place to make sure that any thawed vaccine gets used!

Moderna vs Pfizer side effects is really anecdotal at this point. I'd take either.
    I think this is a great plan. I'm too much of a rule follower. I agree that shots need to get into arms but twowhat makes a good point here that you don't want to end up costing more waste inadvertently. I also don't necessarily think that it matters which vaccine. I think your own biological variability is the important factor and that can't be changed! I hope you get your vaccine!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Have you checked their social media? A small pharmacy chain near me opened up to everyone last week because they had too many doses, not enough arms. They invited everyone to come via social media. Same thing with a lot of pop up clinics- they use Facebook etc to share if they have leftover doses expected at the end of the night. No one is going to call you to come in around here.
    I kinda fall in the next phase and decided to go for it. There don't seem to be shortages and appointments are now pretty easy to get in my city. I am leaving the inner city clinics to the local population there but I have no qualms driving to an outer suburb with lots of appointments.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh and I agree with above poster who said to just show up at the end of the day and ask if they have any leftovers. That way you're not depending on them to contact you if there's a waste list. Do both - ask to get on a waste list AND show up at the end of the day.

I got Pfizer and I felt like I was hit by a bus starting about 10 hours after the shot with shaking chills, joint and muscle aches...I felt like I had the flu. YMMV
    Last edited by twowhat?; 04-05-2021 at 11:57 AM.

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Agree with calling and I do like the idea of showing up toward the end of the day if you dont get an appt by calling.

As far as having more side effects from Moderna than Pfizer, most people I know who got Moderna and side effects have a low grade fever and sometimes chills the next day, sometimes a headache, etc. In short, not completely pleasant, but manageable and feeling fine the day after. . I would not let that stop me from getting whichever vaccine I was able to get first.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for weighing in! So this particular pharmacy is in a different county, about 40 minutes away probably. Technically, I fall into the current category, as my job is education related, but I am not with a school district, I work completely from home as an advisor to homeschool students, so I guess I feel that I should wait and let people like grocery store workers who are people facing have their chance first. I think things are starting to go more smoothly with the roll out now, but it was horrible back in Jan. And Feb. with not enough vaccines and no easy way to schedule them, so I am worried of those problems arising again when everyone is eligible in a few weeks. DH is also fully working at home for now, but would fall into category 1c (open April 12) as working in finance (insurance).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast