Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Breakthrough COVID cases

I thought it might be interesting to have a thread sharing breakthrough COVID cases that you know about.

I'll start...

FIL (in his 70s) just tested positive. He was fully vaccinated with Moderna back in February 2021...so 5months ago. Only symptom is a cough. He tested positive by PCR test 2 days after first symptoms. He has no idea how he was exposed. He lives in a county that reports only 4 positive cases currently. He road in a car 5 days prior to symptoms with a friend who is also fully vaccinated and he played poker with a group of guys 3 days prior to symptoms, that group is also all fully vaccinated. Other than that it's just trips to grocery store and taking my MIL to doc and PT (fully masked at all medical facilities).

Friend in Sacramento tested positive a few weeks ago. She too is fully vaccinated (don't know which brand). Is a single 30-something and has a social life. Thinks she was exposed at the gym.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just got a call this morning. My friend’s 13 yr old daughter who is fully vaxed (had her first shot the day after approval), tested positive last night. She is SICK!! She started not feeling well yesterday and was getting worse as the day went on. Since we are in a high area, she took her to be tested. She tested positive.

I don't know anyone yet, but I'm sure that will about to change.

Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if besides mask wearing, we need to start curtailing activities and social gatherings. I understand the vaccinated might not get as sick, but I also don't want to get caught up in quarantines. We already have to worry about that with DS, who's 11.5.

*sigh*
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    I don't know anyone yet, but I'm sure that will about to change.

Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if besides mask wearing, we need to start curtailing activities and social gatherings. I understand the vaccinated might not get as sick, but I also don't want to get caught up in quarantines. We already have to worry about that with DS, who's 11.5.

*sigh*
    I’ve been wondering the same thing. My vaccinated 12 year old DD has been doing indoor dance unmasked. I wonder if they should start masking now, but I’m sure there will be resistance from some folks that will say that dancing with masks on is difficult. By the way, we’ve also been carpooling to said dance class with friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A colleague's 30-something daughter has a breakthrough case, as does the friend the daughter is visiting out of town. She got it from the friend who began showing symptoms shortly after picking her up from the airport. Both are vaccinated (2 doses each - I'm not sure which vaccine).

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A very close friend of mine had a breakthrough case in May. She was fully vaccinated with either Moderna or Pfizer (I forget which, but know it was one of the two). She has a husband who has significant health issues, so even though she was fully vaccinated, she was still being very careful. Other than grocery shopping with a mask (and everyone was still wearing masks inside here back then), she did get a haircut and I am not sure what that mask situation was, but in any case that is all she did.

She did not need to be hospitalized, but was just under that. She was in bed for several weeks with extreme fatigue and weakness. She did not have respiratory symptoms. She had nightsweats so severe that her sleep cycle was completely interrupted. After 6 weeks, she finally felt back to normal. So, I am happy to report I dont think she is an official long hauler, as she says she is back to normal, but the 6 weeks were awful for her. Also, we finally went for a walk together last week, and I felt she was moving very slowly, but maybe it was my imagination (these are not fast paced exercise walks, just regular walks).

She is still happy she was vaccinated. Her husband, who she worries about a lot, did not get it! She is very thankful for that. Now, my friend is older (67), but previous to Covid she was in extreme good health; as in doctors would marvel at how healthy she was. Great diet, walked daily, and good genes apparently. I believe that if she were to take a "health age" test (something where they approximate an age based on health), she would have come out younger htan me.

Also, on a local facebook page a teacher posted that she was fully vaccinated and got Covid. I know that is a little removed, as I don't know this person, but I believe she is real and that happened.

I am concerned as dd and I qualified early and will be at 6 months after our 2nd dose by the end of August; just in time for my sister to visit from across the country. she was also vaccinated early. Sigh.

I am also concerned about what school sports will look like. Thankfully our governor has mandated masks for K-12, but it seems like sports always seem to have some kind of exception.
    Last edited by JustMe; 07-30-2021 at 03:41 PM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post
    I’ve been wondering the same thing. My vaccinated 12 year old DD has been doing indoor dance unmasked. I wonder if they should start masking now, but I’m sure there will be resistance from some folks that will say that dancing with masks on is difficult. By the way, we’ve also been carpooling to said dance class with friends.

My kids have been doing gymnastics at a place that doesn't require masks. I've always had my kid wear one, but usually only about 1 kid per class is and very few parents. I noticed this week DD's class now has 3 kids wearing masks and more parents seem to be wearing them too.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Just got a call this morning. My friend’s 13 yr old daughter who is fully vaxed (had her first shot the day after approval), tested positive last night. She is SICK!! She started not feeling well yesterday and was getting worse as the day went on. Since we are in a high area, she took her to be tested. She tested positive.
    I'm so sorry about this. I hope she's better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post

Can't recommend enough that she wear the mask. The positivity rate of Delta is off the charts.

for Sandy Hook

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Can't recommend enough that she wear the mask. The positivity rate of Delta is off the charts.
    Thanks, I’m certainly going to send her in one. There are kids with doctor parents in this group and I feel like I need to tread carefully all throughout this pandemic, since everyone has such different ideas of how much the risk is and their personal comfort level with it. This feeling of being in limbo with ever changing covid landscape is another painful part of this pandemic!

DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    A very close friend of mine had a breakthrough case in May. She was fully vaccinated with either Moderna or Pfizer (I forget which, but know it was one of the two). She has a husband who has significant health issues, so even though she was fully vaccinated, she was still being very careful. Other than grocery shopping with a mask (and everyone was still wearing masks inside here back then), she did get a haircut and I am not sure what that mask situation was, but in any case that is all she did.

She did not need to be hospitalized, but was just under that. She was in bed for several weeks with extreme fatigue and weakness. She did not have respiratory symptoms. She had nightsweats so severe that her sleep cycle was completely interrupted. After 6 weeks, she finally felt back to normal. So, I am happy to report I dont think she is an official long hauler, as she says she is back to normal, but the 6 weeks were awful for her. Also, we finally went for a walk together last week, and I felt she was moving very slowly, but maybe it was my imagination (these are not fast paced exercise walks, just regular walks).

She is still happy she was vaccinated. Her husband, who she worries about a lot, did not get it! She is very thankful for that. Now, my friend is older (67), but previous to Covid she was in extreme good health; as in doctors would marvel at how healthy she was. Great diet, walked daily, and good genes apparently. I believe that if she were to take a "health age" test (something where they approximate an age based on health), she would have come out younger htan me.

Also, on a local facebook page a teacher posted that she was fully vaccinated and got Covid. I know that is a little removed, as I don't know this person, but I believe she is real and that happened.

I am concerned as dd and I qualified early and will be at 6 months after our 2nd dose by the end of August; just in time for my sister to visit from across the country. she was also vaccinated early. Sigh.

I am also concerned about what school sports will look like. Thankfully our governor has mandated masks for K-12, but it seems like sports always seem to have some kind of exception.
    I bet with her infection being back in May that it wasn’t delta variant and thus made her less likely to transmit to her DH. Thankfully! I bet she was so concerned about that.

I think that’s what is so scary about delta…it’s definitely proving to behave differently in contagiousness than other variants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast