Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Laurel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default How is your flatscreen TV secured?

I need to secure our TVs. I spend way too much time stressing that they will fall over!

I have seen those straps with adhesive on the ends, and I can't imagine them holding a TV in an earthquake.
    Laurel

Ours is hanging on the wall with the specific hanging device made by the manufacturer (Samsung) for our TV. I love it because it's super-secure and truly flat to the wall. Looks like a giant picture hanging up there. Between DD (who will be moving around before we know it) & two black labs, we have way too many risk factors for a TV on a stand to fall over. So I'm glad it's up and out of the way.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

we purchased one of those tv stands that you can "hang" the tv on. we had the same concern as you but we didn't want to hang ours on the wall.

Ours is wall mounted. When we had a regular old TV, I bought straps at http://www.qsafety.com/ The sticky back velcro that they supplied would not have gone anywhere in an earthquake. The velcro stuck to the TV and then the strap lag-bolted into the wall stud. We also have some straps for our very tall bookshelves.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

LexyLou is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Ours is mounted on the wall with a specific wall mount for flat screens. It has some bar that goes through it once it's mounted to lock it into place.
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07

Quote Originally Posted by LexyLou View Post
    Ours is mounted on the wall with a specific wall mount for flat screens. It has some bar that goes through it once it's mounted to lock it into place.
    same here. i just went to best buy and bought a mounting bracket based on size of the tv. i had it mounted into the wall right into the studs. i dont think it's going anywhere.
    K
    DD#1 05/09

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Mine's wall mounted.
    I do have one flat-screen monitor on a desk that I'm paranoid might get bumped and fall off, so I used clamps to lock it to the desk - looks like this tool:

It looks silly but DD could run straight into the desk & not knock that thing over.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not yet. BRU sells a lock that screws into the TV and the wall. DD isn't quite here yet so I haven't childproofed but I will be securing the TV soon. Ours sits on top of our cable box and isn't very tippy but its slide happy and spins very easily (the cats do it) so its a must in our house.

SammyeGail is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have a question, I've wanted ours mounted, DH would be doing it. Don't you have to cut a hole in the wall behind the mounting and run the wiring down so its not seen? If not, how do you cover it up?

Ours in on a tall stand, very, very sturdy. Its like a large 'couch table' the ones you put behind your couch, that match your end tables, but its huge, lol. My main issue is the boys standing too close to it, as many times as I've asked them to stop!

Thanks!
    Samantha
    Twin Boys - 11/20/05
    N. and J. - My heart and hands are full!

The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. Hemingway

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SammyeGail View Post
    I have a question, I've wanted ours mounted, DH would be doing it. Don't you have to cut a hole in the wall behind the mounting and run the wiring down so its not seen? If not, how do you cover it up?
    I am not an expert but we just got a big old 50" Plasma this year on a great deal and had the Geek Squad guys from Best Buy install it. If you don't want the wires to show, you definitely have to cut a hole in the dry wall. In order to be up to code, you also can't run the power cord through the wall, so you need to have an outlet installed behind the TV too. My DH is pretty handy and probably could have done the whole project (maybe not the outlet), but he's been busy and this whole thing was a gift for him, so we paid to have it done. It was expensive though...between the mounts, the cables, the geek squad guys, and the electrician and a few other things, the cost went far beyond the TV itself
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast