Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default kids starting at a new school: backpacks

My kids have been homeschooled for like 4 years now. Before that, they went to a private UMS that had really strict dress code policies about backpacks.

This fall they are starting at a different private, UMS and although they have uniforms, they have a LOT of freedom in backpack choice. The parents that I've met so far have said that Jansport is the "en vogue" brand, though the backpacks themselves vary. I'm hopelessly out of the loop on "what's cool" since we've been homeschooling. I'm hoping some of you can weigh in or have your teens/tweens weigh in on what my two have selected....

6th grade boy (in red):
    https://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-...=boys+backpack

8th grade girl (courtland blue):
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DL9TJTV...JYDF55QH&psc=0

Do these look like they would be acceptable for your middle schoolers? TIA!
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

They look fine but, the thing is, "on trend" can vary so much even in the same region! What might be cool and on point at school A might be out of fashion at school B five miles away. I'd stick with running those by parents you know at the school, if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    They look fine but, the thing is, "on trend" can vary so much even in the same region! What might be cool and on point at school A might be out of fashion at school B five miles away. I'd stick with running those by parents you know at the school, if you can.
    I agree. Where I live, those colors and the second style would not be ideal, but in your neck of the woods, they might be just the thing. You need to ask in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I’m not sure about the style for the girls backpack. At our middle school, kids can’t carry backpacks around the school, only to/from and they need to stay in their lockers the rest of the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think those are both nice and I really like the second style. However, that light aqua color is going to get dirty very quickly. I recommend a darker color for sure.

for Sandy Hook

I agree about things varying so much by region. I think the girls backpack looks a little young (although I think it's very cute), and Under Armor is definitely no longer trendy here, it's pretty unpopular.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Agree with PP about how styles vary so much. At our middle school, the majority of kids have black backpacks. It’s a wonder mine come home with their own backpack!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think your kids should pick whatever they like and not worry about everyone else. My DS1 is going into 10th grade at a private high school and is using a LL Bean backpack because it's huge and can fit all his stuff (large zippered binders). He's never mentioned backpack styles or cared at all and I've never paid attention to what anyone else has. I know that when I was in high school my mom spent zero thought on my backpack style and I'd be horrified if she did.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by essnce629; 06-27-2018 at 03:16 AM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I think your kids should pick whatever they like and not worry about everyone else. My DS1 is going into 10th grade at a private high school and is using a LL Bean backpack because it's huge and can fit all his stuff (large zippered binders). He's never mentioned backpack styles or cared at all and I've never paid attention to what anyone else has. I know that when I was in high school my mom spent zero thought on my backpack style and I'd be horrified if she did.

I tend to agree with this. My son doesn't care at all about the trends. His choice was more about function. He uses the Jansport Big Student and had the same one through middle. He is going into 9th and I told him he could pick a new one though his is still in great shape. https://www.jansport.com/shop/en/jan...nId=6XD#hero=0 It has two huge sections and a water bottle pocket (important to him). It holds a ton which was especially great in 7th grade when he had lots of notebooks and a large zip binder. I may have him get the digital student this year though. It is basically the same configuration but has padding for electronics. I think in high school they have to carry assigned laptops back and forth. Though like pp they have to keep their backpack in the locker during the day.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post

Yes. My 9th grader uses an LLBean that he's used since 5th grade. It's in decent shape still and he likes it well enough. DD uses a couple different Jansport that I bought on clearance and she likes changing them up. DS2 has a LLBean too. He'll need a bigger one for middle school I think, so we'll get something in a year.

But, none have ever asked for anything specific on brands or color. They just picked what they liked at the time.
    Kris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast