Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default First ultrasound at 12 weeks instead of 8?? [Update in #20]

I haven't been pregnant since 2008. Upon getting a positive pregnancy test today I called to schedule my 8 week check up (same OB as last time). I'm spotting so I'm not super-excited yet. The person making the appt told me they no longer do ultrasounds at 8 weeks, but rather at 12 weeks. Is this the norm now? To clarify, my OB doesn't do ultrasounds in her office, I have to go to a radiology lab, which I don't mind. My last pregnancy was medium risk and I did have to go for extra ultrasounds (my first one was 8 weeks). Waiting till week 12 for first ultrasound seems too long.
    Last edited by L'sMommy; 07-03-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If you are spotting I would want to be seen/have an u/s now to check the viability of the pregnancy. If they are unwilling to reassure you in this way I'd call someone else.

They do an u/s around 12 weeks as part of the nuchal fold test. Though the accuracy of dating a pregnancy drops to about 2 weeks from + or - 3 day at 5-7 weeks, so I'd want one earlier if dating is a question.

Since you are spotting and having concerns about the pregnancy I'd ask to be seen now and discuss the options with the doctor she can always order a u/s at any time based on need.

As a matter of routine there is no real need for u/s early in pregnancy unless you are not sure of dates or want the nuchal fold test. I did not see the OB at all until 12 weeks. They then did an u/s the following week because I was measuring large for dates, though that's always the case for me so they check for twins. So far they've found nothing.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Edensmum View Post
    If you are spotting I would want to be seen/have an u/s now to check the viability of the pregnancy. If they are unwilling to reassure you in this way I'd call someone else.

They do an u/s around 12 weeks as part of the nuchal fold test. Though the accuracy of dating a pregnancy drops to about 2 weeks from + or - 3 day at 5-7 weeks, so I'd want one earlier if dating is a question.

Since you are spotting and having concerns about the pregnancy I'd ask to be seen now and discuss the options with the doctor she can always order a u/s at any time based on need.

As a matter of routine there is no real need for u/s early in pregnancy unless you are not sure of dates or want the nuchal fold test. I did not see the OB at all until 12 weeks. They then did an u/s the following week because I was measuring large for dates, though that's always the case for me so they check for twins. So far they've found nothing.

In neither practice was a 1st trimester u/s the norm. Both offered an u/s at 18-20 weeks and with ds2 I could have had the nuchal fold u/s test but opted not to.

I hope all is well and you can get reassurance soon.

Beth

The OBs at my practice don't see expectant mothers until 12 weeks, so unless you're doing the nuchal fold test the first ultrasound would be at 18-20 weeks.

Sending positive thoughts your way...
    Green Tea, mom to three

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

With DS2 my first and only U/S was at 22 weeks and if I wouldn't have wanted to find out the sex I probably would have skipped it all together.

With DS1 I had one at 6 weeks for no reason at all (they just offered it) and I regret it. U/S have not been around for all that long and I still don't think we know if there's any long term risks. I am not a fan of routine U/S for no medical reason. They used to give X-Rays to pregnant women all the time and then found out that wasn't such a good idea. 30 years ago the average was one U/S per pregnancy, now it's three, and I don't think there's been any improvement in infant mortality or morbidity.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My office offers a routine U/S at 20 weeks. If you are older than 35 they offer genetic testing and nuchal translucency (w/US) at 12-13.6 weeks, but don't push it. The genetic testing and that US is done at the local chidrens hospital, but the 20 week US is done at my OB's office. I know they have a portable US in the office too, and did have one at 37 weeks when we became concerned DD was breach and exam wasn't definative.

I was 37 with first pregnancy and am 40 with this one. I did opt for the nuchal screen, but other than "advanced maternal age" (ha!) am not "high risk".

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My doc usually sees people for the first time around 10 weeks. She occasionally does dating ultrasounds around that point to try to get an accurate date for the 12 weeks nuchal tests (which I always opt for).
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

My midwives normally don't want to see you before 8 or 10 weeks but they almost always do an ultrasound the first appointment. I would call and insist that you want to be seen earlier than 12 weeks.

llama8 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My ob does an ulltrasound to date the pregnancy. With my 1st I had 1 st six weeks and my second pregnancy I had 1 at 9 weeks (I didn't realize I was pregnant till a little later)..

I then had a 12 week one for the nuchal test.

I would find another ob. Waiting for 12 weeks is not the norm by me. All of the obs do early ultrasounds to check for heartbeat and viability.
    DD 11/09
    DD 06/11

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by L'sMommy View Post
    I haven't been pregnant since 2008. Upon getting a positive pregnancy test today I called to schedule my 8 week check up (same OB as last time). I'm spotting so I'm not super-excited yet. The person making the appt told me they no longer do ultrasounds at 8 weeks, but rather at 12 weeks. Is this the norm now? To clarify, my OB doesn't do ultrasounds in her office, I have to go to a radiology lab, which I don't mind. My last pregnancy was medium risk and I did have to go for extra ultrasounds (my first one was 8 weeks). Waiting till week 12 for first ultrasound seems too long.
    I didn't get a 8 week ultrasound in 2007 with my first either.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast