Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default New MYSTERY books to recommend for Book Club?

Although it wasn’t perfect, I thoroughly enjoyed Knives Out. I’m in the mood for a good mystery. I’ve read almost all Agatha Christie and she’s totally my jam.

Any other recommendations for the year? I think I’d like to read Tolstoy this year. I’d like to read Elizabeth Gaskills Wives and Daughters. I want to read the Martian (though everyone else May already have read it).

Our favorite books last year were Educated, Homegoing, and the Scarlet Letter.

Also, we’re kind of a PG13 kind of crowd. 😊

Thanks in advance!!

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Where the Crawdads Sing, by Delia Owens — not an Agatha Christie type mystery, but engaging, moving, and the core mystery isn’t obvious until the end. A number of my friends, with very different reading tastes, have read it and loved it.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Where the Crawdads Sing, by Delia Owens — not an Agatha Christie type mystery, but engaging, moving, and the core mystery isn’t obvious until the end. A number of my friends, with very different reading tastes, have read it and loved it.

I didn’t realize this had an element of mystery but I have seen this on many best book lists. Awesome! Thanks!

janeybwild is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

9 perfect strangers. Humorous and engaging

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We recently read "Coma Girl" and enjoyed it. Its about a girl who is in an accident and is in the hospital in a coma.... she hears everything, but people don't realize. Not a true mystery, but there are several twists and surprises.

Shadow of the Wind
    The Thirteen Tale
    The Secret History

You might like "The Silent Patient". I'm not a huge mystery fan, and thought it was okay, the rest of my BC loved it.
    "The Great Alone" will probably appeal to you if you liked Educated. It's fiction, but has some of the same themes.

I loved "Wives and Daughters". You might also try Gaskell's "North and South" which I also loved. It's surprisingly gritty, it's set in the Industrial Age (don't confuse it with the TV show about the American Civil War). BTW, there are BBC adaptations of both "Wives and Daughters" and "North and South" that are really good.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by solsister View Post
    Shadow of the Wind
    The Thirteen Tale
    I loved both of these, though have to give The Thirteenth Tale props for reading like a slow-burn Gothic novel - I really enjoyed it, but it does start off pretty slowly.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The Flavia deLuce series by Alan Bradley. Post WWII in England. 12yo protagonist who lives in a crumbling manor with her dad and sisters. She's chemistry lover and solves murders in town. There's an overarching family drama in all the books. First book is The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

The Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cvanbrunt View Post
    The Flavia deLuce series by Alan Bradley. Post WWII in England. 12yo protagonist who lives in a crumbling manor with her dad and sisters. She's chemistry lover and solves murders in town. There's an overarching family drama in all the books. First book is The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

The Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear.
    Definitely Maisie Dobbs! If most of the group is unfamiliar with the series, it’ll make more sense if you start with the first volume.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast