Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flylady ?

BabyH is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Flylady ?

Where do I begin?! I signed up for her emails and it says "Just jump in" but I'm confused..... and my sink is white porcelain so I can't shine it like she wants me to, lol. Any loyal followers who can give me a hint? I like her style and I know it will work. I just need my hand held. (I have cleaning ADD )

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

She just means to start where you are. Don't try to clean out your closets to get ready just set up a morning routine and a night routine and start being consistent with those to make them habits. If you're up for more start tackling the projects that come in her emails one project at a time. GL

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i could never get into flylady. she lost me when she said that i had to dry my sink. it's just going to get wet again. sorry, but i have way too many other things to do. it can air dry. my sink looks fine, and i'm a bit (a lot, according to dh) ocd.
    and was it flylady who suggested that dirty dishes go under the sink, not in the sink? aside from the fact that i don't have space under my sink, it just seems like more work. besides, isn't that what the sink is for -- dirty dishes? sure there are times when i need the sink to be empty, but i deal with it when it happens.

i created my own routine that works for me. i started with small goals and then added each week. first week, i decided to make my bed every morning, before i leave my room. the next week, i decided that after making my bed, before heading to the kitchen, i would drop off a load of laundry in the machine and turn it on. i also have a laundry schedule (certain things on certain days) so that i don't have to think about it each day and nothing gets forgotten.

i think it is similar to fly lady, but it's my own schedule of my own tasks. might not be as efficient as fly lady, but since it is my own, it is easier for me to stick to it.

hang on, i think i might be confusing flylady with something else. motivated moms? is that something? i don't know, i can't remember. but i know that fly lady lost me with the drying the sink thing.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't do FlyLady but I really like the whole idea behind it of making routines rather than chores.

Here's my very customized version... make a list with homemade "checkboxes" next to each item:

- 5 things to do every morning (make bed, empty dishwasher, etc)
    - 15 minute cleanup at any point during the day (put a timer on and clean anything for 15 minutes straight, then you're done for the day)
    - 5 item declutter (could be anything, clothes, mail, your junk drawer...)
    - 5 things to do every evening (empty trash cans, all toys put away, program coffeemaker, etc.
    )
    It works for me.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Dh and I have been using Motivated Moms since October and have really liked it. It is more pared down than Flylady, which for me is a better balance.

DH has expressed his love of it because he can always look at the list and see what needs done. He feels this is very helpful in terms of him knowing what he can do in the evenings when I'm busy getting DD and DS2 to bed, etc.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    Dh and I have been using Motivated Moms since October and have really liked it. It is more pared down than Flylady, which for me is a better balance.

DH has expressed his love of it because he can always look at the list and see what needs done. He feels this is very helpful in terms of him knowing what he can do in the evenings when I'm busy getting DD and DS2 to bed, etc.
    for your DH.

Quote Originally Posted by salsah View Post
    for your DH.
    Yeah, he's usually a huge, huge help but the list makes it easier to communicate what needs to be done so we are more in sync. I also don't feel like I'm nagging because he looks at the list on his own. He just told me to go ahead and order the full year for this year. We started in October and it was only like $2 prorated for the balance of 2010 at that point. It was nice to try it first.

It isn't the type of plan that will keep your house spotless, but I find it helpful and we do more than the list calls for as needed (when we can).
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006

I just signed up for the new year of Motivated Moms and used the code NEWYEAR (I think good through 1/14/2011) for $1 off. Brings the cost down to $7. You can choose from a variety of formats (page per day, page per week, half page formats, etc.)
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast