Default How do I get DS to like the Ergo for longer periods of time??

I need your help once again! We just purchased the Ergo Performance Carrier in spring green--lovely looking carrier, but I need help with getting our 15 week old DS to like it. He's only experienced our old Ergo before, which was the standard kind, and we never used an insert with it because DS always felt too big for it. Instead, we would put DS in a cradle position with his legs sticking out one of the sides. He used to like it a lot when he was smaller (e.g., 6-8 weeks??), though he would mainly sleep when he'd be in the Ergo.

Now DS is 15 weeks old, and I can't tell you exactly how much he weighs (~13.5-14 lbs?) and he is ~ 26 inches if not longer. I would love to use the Ergo to carry DS around the house when I wash my pumping bottles right after I come home from work and he wants mommy time, and also when we go places and don't want to use the stroller.

Basically, when I leave little space between him and my chest by tightening the shoulder straps, he doesn't like it (this is also the kid who doesn't like the swaddled!) and when I leave too much room, he will start turning his head from side to side and not like the mere act of doing so (maybe not being able to see when he is facing me while turning his head, I don't know) and will get fussy shortly thereafter. He wants to be able to see what's going on around him--that's one thing that's clear. His legs seem long enough for this position. Also, when he gets sleepy, he has trouble getting into a comfy position and falling asleep in the Ergo, so again fusses and I take him out. Maybe you can give me some ideas for what I am doing wrong or how to make him more comfy or get him to like it. Then, DH will no longer have to wash our pumping bottles because I'll have way too much time to get stuff done around the house when I get back home from work!!!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Is baby hungry before you put him into the carrier? You didn't mention if you'd nursed 1st & then tried.

My DD would fuss at first & then snuggle in, but if she kept fussing, she usually needed a feed.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Is baby hungry before you put him into the carrier? You didn't mention if you'd nursed 1st & then tried.

My DD would fuss at first & then snuggle in, but if she kept fussing, she usually needed a feed.
    hmmm...good point. Yesterday he was actually pretty tired, because as soon as I took him out and put him next to me in our bed, he fell asleep, then 30 min later he woke up hungry, nursed, and went down for the night in his co-sleeper.

There are times when DS is not hungry though, but it's not really time for him to eat yet (e.g., he ate an hour ago), and he just wants to be held and gets fussy easily.Those are the times when I would like to carry him in the Ergo so that I could also get things done around the house.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by new_mom_mry View Post
    hmmm...good point. Yesterday he was actually pretty tired, because as soon as I took him out and put him next to me in our bed, he fell asleep, then 30 min later he woke up hungry, nursed, and went down for the night in his co-sleeper.

There are times when DS is not hungry though, but it's not really time for him to eat yet (e.g., he ate an hour ago), and he just wants to be held and gets fussy easily.Those are the times when I would like to carry him in the Ergo so that I could also get things done around the house.
    The carrier should be used at first when baby is fed & happy, not fussy. Associating it with happy, comforting times vs. unhappy times helps extend the wearing time.

Try to resolve the fussiness before using the carrier; I know it's challenging and it often means that things just don't get done (just a look around my house is enough -and my daughter loves being worn!) but associating the fussy period with being strapped into the carrier isn't helping you extend the use of your carrier, YKWIM?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle