Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default What to wear to a “press event”?

DH invited me to attend a movie and found out that it will be a “press event” so “dress nice”. WHAT does this mean and does it really matter what I wear?

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Is the invitation through work? If so, dressing somewhere along the lines of "movie date night" but stepped up a notch (i.e. - if you'd normally wear sneakers & jeans, swap in ballet flats or a pair of heels for the sneakers, a nicer top, and cute accessories) might hit the right notes.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I’d treat it like going out to dinner or a show. You don’t need to be too dressed up, but something a step up from casual.

Dcclerk is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Agreed – standard going out wear will probably be dressier than most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This is in LA right, in the tv/movie industry. Will there be a step and repeat/red carpet type entrance? If so, I'd see if you can find something a bit trendy or edgy, or a fun dress with moto jacket.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So are jeans totally out? I’d love for jeans to be ok. I have more time now to figure out a stylish blouse or jacket or shoes or something to step it up (I have until Monday).

I’m finding the need lately for some dressier type styles. (As in this month I’ll have had three separate events.) If I have to buy something to work for these types of occasions would pants be a good investment?

DH initially said to wear the dress I got for my brothers wedding last year but that seems really over the top for me. I hate being overdressed

I’d like to spend as little as possible!

Can you tell us more about the event? You don’t have to be specific, but when I lived in LA and went to a few of these events they were definitely more than a step above casual. And the outfits were trendy, not crazy, but LA is a fashionable town. I don’t know your dress you wore is like, so it’s hard to say if it’s too dressy. But if you prefer to be underdressed vs overdressed don’t wear it.

As for what to buy for future events, I like dresses, but well cut nice trousers are totally fine.
    Last edited by TwinFoxes; 03-23-2019 at 03:16 PM.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    So are jeans totally out? I’d love for jeans to be ok. I have more time now to figure out a stylish blouse or jacket or shoes or something to step it up (I have until Monday).

I’m finding the need lately for some dressier type styles. (As in this month I’ll have had three separate events.) If I have to buy something to work for these types of occasions would pants be a good investment?

DH initially said to wear the dress I got for my brothers wedding last year but that seems really over the top for me. I hate being overdressed

I’d like to spend as little as possible!
    How dressy is the dress? Will it look cute with a denim jacket? I like to do that when a dress is a touch fancier than an occasion calls for.

The outfits at something like this will run the gamut from completely styled folks with glam hair/makeup, to people that just came from the office, to people that are way more casual that you’d expect. Make sure you’re not the most casual person there and you’ll be fine.

I'm not going to be able to make the event after all.

I do think I need to be more prepared for these types of events.

It was a movie premiere at a nice theatre.

I recently wore nice dark jeans, nude suede wedges, a long (nice) off white cardigan, matching necklace, smoky eye and nude lip to the Pantages to see Cats and it was just right for that venue. I'm wondering at what places I need to go dressier than that?

My dresses for my brothers wedding included a knee length faux wrap dress with 3/4 sleeves in a deep red and pink floral pattern and a knee length sleeved sweater material with gold accents. I tried to find pictures but I bought the clothes over a year ago and I can't seem to find links.

Thanks for all your help!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The cardigan would have been a dealbreaker for a dressier night out for me. I would swap it for something a bit more current. A blazer, moto jacket, leather jacket...

A floral wrap dress would depend on the print, imo. Some prints have more versatility and others look very daytime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast