Default So glad I didn’t get a trampoline

I was seriously considering getting a trampoline because of being trapped at home, and I know several others here were as well. The younger brother (12) of DD’s best friend (who is also friends with DS and all the kids are on swim team together) broke his femur on their trampoline today. Poor kid is having surgery as we speak. DH’s first words were, “we are never getting a trampoline.” They had a “safe” spring free one.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

For several years, my family lived in a house that had a large trampoline in the backyard, and I was very relieved when they moved and left it behind! No real injuries but a few bumps and bruises, but I always thought they dodged the proverbial bullet.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yuuuup. We're in the "never" camp too. I know tons of people have them and tons of kids have fun, but......I know far too many stories like the little boy you know. Poor kid, I hope his surgery is successful and he recovers quickly.
    Lizi

We've always been against having one too but lightly considered it back in March. It's stories like this that kept me from hitting buy. Pretty sure if we haven't gotten one yet, we never will.

I hope this boy has a quick and smooth recovery.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ugh. That sounds just horrific. I've never had to witness and injury quite that bad from a trampoline!

We're one of those families that both DH and I grew up with trampolines and thankfully no serious injuries. DS3 loves this trampoline park we go to and because of all his sensory issues I am just amazed at how well he does after a good session of bouncing and scrambling around! I even looked into how much it would cost to get a monthly membership--thinking it was cheaper than therapy! Many of the other type 1 diabetes parents that I know are also into a trampoline as a good way to reduce blood sugar, quick! BUT wouldn't you know I allowed DD to go to a little friend's birthday party at one of those same trampoline parks and she managed to sprain her ankle pretty good. Now she really has to stay away from those places. I don't think a trampoline will ever be in our future. But witnessing something like that phew! It almost makes me glad for my hard stance. It is hard because the kids have cousins and many friends with a trampoline.