momtoemma Guest

Default Looking for a fabulous but easy dessert recipe

Please help me find a delicious but easy-to-make dessert recipe. I've been asked to bring a dessert to a small New Year's Eve party that DH and I will be attending (adults only). The party includes a steak dinner. I am thinking that I'd like to make something chocolate, but my mind is just blank. None of the recipes I usually make seem right for this occasion. Any recipes or ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,

nwaddellr Guest

Default Death by Chocolate

I do beleive this fits the bill.

You need:
    Prepared batch of brownies (store bought, box mix, from scratch -doesn't matter)
    1/4 cup coffee liquor (optional - I've never used it)
    Chocolate mousse (again, mix or from scratch)
    2 large or 8 mini Heath Bars, crumbled
    Whipped topping (Cool Whip or whipped cream)

Using a large glass bowl, layer in order:
    -1/2 brownies, sprinkled with liquor if desired
    -1/2 mousse
    -1/2 whipped topping
    -all but 2 T Heath bars
    Repeat, ending with topping and Heath bar garnish.

You don't want to make this too far ahead, because the Heath Bars will go soggy overnight, but it is SOOOO good and so darn easy to make. Enjoy!

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Looking for a fabulous but easy dessert recipe

If you want super easy, I can recommend Duncan Hines Signature Desserts Boston Cream Pie mix. It comes with everything you need in one box. I made it for DH and I for Christmas desert and I was very impressed with how easy it was to make and how good it came out and tasted (and I grew up with Boston Cream Pie as a major staple as a holiday dessert.) I am thinking of trying their chocolate silk torte for New Year's. Depending on how many people are coming you might need to make 2, since it is one layer cake you split in half to fill. If you do decide to make it, follow the directions to chill the cake for 1 hour before cutting, and make sure the icing is nice and warm so it will flow over the cake easily without needing to spread it too much. Here's a link:

http://www.duncanhines.com/DHProduct...lt.asp?catID=8

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

sadie427 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Don't have a recipe off the top of my head, but chocolate mousse is easy, elegant and delicious! Use high-quality chocolate. To fancy it up, you could bring whipping cream and whip that up at the last minute to put on top, and/or a few fresh raspberries if you can lay your hands on them. Also if you are near a fancy chocolate place, some of them make chocolate bowls that you could serve it in.
    ------
    S.

DS 2003
    DS 2009

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default This is to die for!

This flourless chocolate cake is amazingly rich, delicious, and with five ingredients, quite easy. Dressing it up a bit makes it all the more impressive with out too much more effort. I’m no coffee fan, but the coffee flavor is not too strong. This is sooo rich that the pieces should be fairly small, maybe an inch wide at the crust and can easily serve 20+ people. It is also a great make ahead dessert - store it in the freezer until the day you want to serve it, then defrost in the fridge.

Panache Truffle Cake

Melt in microwave (or double boiler):
    8 ounces semi-sweet pure chocolate
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup unsalted butter (my mom has successfully used salted butter)

When cool stir in:
    1/2 cup brewed coffee

Beat in:
    4 eggs

Pour batter into a foil lined and heavily buttered 8 1/2 inch spring form pan. Cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a crust forms. Cool to room temp and refrigerate overnight. Remove from pan. Can freeze up to 3 months.

Serve with a dollop of whipped cream on top:
    1 cup heavy cream
    1/3 cup powdered sugar
    1/2 ts pure vanilla

To really fancy it up in looks and taste:
    1 can frozen sweetened raspberries (thaw and blenderize)

Spoon spread raspberry sauce on individual serving plates before putting a slice on them. And maybe a drop of sauce on top of the whipped cream. The raspberry flavor adds so much to balance out the richness of this dessert.

amp Guest

After reading so many recommendations here last year for making trifles, I attempted two of my own versions and they were a hit! You can make them so easily with whatever the heck layers your little heart desires! Ours involved brownies, pudding, oreos and whipped cream in varying degrees and layers. You can add candy bars, fruit, cake or pound cake of any kind/flavor, etc. So easy and so yummy! I had to buy a trifle dish, but found one cheap at Bed Bath and Beyond (I think). You could also make them in individual dishes if the party is just a few people, but any more than a few and that would be a pain!

rrosen is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

A trifle would be my rec as well. For New Year's Eve I would do individual ones in Champagne flutes.

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: This is to die for!

This sounds awesome! I'm going to print this off and save it for the next time I need to make dessert. I bet it looks really impressive with the raspberry coulis!
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default RE: Death by Chocolate

I was going to suggest this, also. My version is chocolate cake and chocolate pudding instead of brownies and mousse though. I've never added the liquor.
    Kris

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

a trifle was going to my suggestion as well! you can pretty much go as rich or light as you want...fruit or sweet, all chocolate (yum..i've done that one ALOT!) plus a lot of the prep can either be done ahead of time or store bought.

Laura
    mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

[/url]