bobacat Guest

Default Jewish Mommies-Bris Outfit

This might be a kind of weird question, but here goes. My mother and I were out shopping the other day and we went by Strasburg Children which had all kinds of dressy clothes for kids. We decided to get the baby (due in early March) an outfit for his bris. Well, they really didn't have anything there and the saleslady didn't know what a bris was.

So I went home and found this link:
    http://shepherdscradle-christening.com/bris.html

But it really looks like a christening gown to me with a Jewish star on it. And I can't help but feel that it's girlie. It's a gown. I can't find anything else on the web that is dressy and "Jewish".

So, I was curious. If there are other Jewish moms on here, did you buy a special outfit for the ceremony? Is there a good site or company to look at? I think it's strange that there's nothing else for this purpose.

Default RE: Jewish Mommies-Bris Outfit

I used one of those open bottom sleepers/gown. It had Winnie The Pooh on it. It had a matching hat. I'm not at home so later I'll post a couple of pics of him on his bris day (if you want). Anyway, no one saw it because the Mohel wound up putting him in a swaddle, really tight. Then he put a Talis around his neck (a mini one it's so cute) and a tie Yarmulke on his head. He only undid him to perform the "ritual" and then he was quicky swaddled back up. We took DS away and no one really saw him because we were feeding him and all the afterwards stuff. You have to remember it's a pretty tramatic day for you (mom), so get something EASY. I saw your link and I agree it's too girly, my DH would have vetoed that in a second. I just want to let you know that I really contemplated what "outfit" he would wear. In the end I went for something I thought would be easy. I'm so glad I did. Also the Mohel's directions specifically stated something w/out snaps. So, that made my decision easier. Check with the Mohel you want to use, he may have specfic directions. You can check my Mohel's website ebris.com it was helpful in a lot of ways too.

Sorry for the lengthy response. Let me know if you'd like me to post pics.

HTH
    Candice
    WOHM to DS1 (6/04), DS2 (12/05), DD (2/09) and to our fur-st Sascha
    family blog: www.whatsupkahn.blogspot.com

reyn74 Guest

I did something similiar to the PP. We had a "Little Me" gown that is white with a unisex design on it. Our Mohel also said something easy. I don't think he swaddled my kids, but he had the outfit pulled up around DS's middle and then pulled it down when he was done. The outfit I got was used for all three of my boys, so it was bought a few years ago. It is definitely dressier than your basic Carter's gowns, but not really girly. I can't find any pictures either.

I'd do something like get a Pepper Toes bunting bag. I'm pretty certain from the pics that these open at the bottom. Here's an example, but it looks like they have one available in each of their lines.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/15817.jpg

-Sarah and 3 boys

We used an absolutely beautiful "Jewish looking" soft cotton gown (white with light blue embroidery with a matching receiving blanket). My mom splurged on it 3 years ago for DS#1s birth. It may have come from Neiman Marcus. I'll see if I can find a link to it or at least our pictures. We also went to a Judaica store and got a tiny little baby kippah with a tie to hold it on.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/15818.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/15819.jpg

Hmm. I checked Neiman's website and didn't find it. I did find this sweet little Barefoot Dreams set--doesn't look too much like a Christening outfit (no offense meant to those who dress their children for Christenings--just wanted to help OP find something "bris-like").

I'll ask my mom if she knows for sure where she got it.
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

tbdw425 Guest

I have two boys. My mohel similarly suggested "easy access" clothing. For kids 8 days old, being naked (exposed/cold/unswadled) is just as traumatic as the ceremony. You want to get in and out quickly.

We used a snap down onesie, something blue, nothing fancy. You could also use one of those sleeping sacks, but I am not a fan of those. I am practical by nature, I knew there would be red wine involved, I figured if it spilled on the outfit, I did not want the heartache.

I agree with other writers, the ceremony is tough on Mom. Aside from the shock of giving over your son for such a ceremony, the fact is you are dead tired and not exactly feeling attractive. My biggest piece of advice re: a briss is KEEP IT SIMPLE. Entertaining 8 days after giving birth is plain TOUGH. Cater Cater Cater! and let your friends and family help out!

bobacat Guest

Thanks for all of the replies. That outfit in the picture was gorgeous! I know it's going to be traumatic. :( I'm worried already. It's a happy occasion, but a scary one! I just figured that the bris would be the first time a lot of people would see the baby, so I wanted him to look cute. But you're right. The outfit should be comfortable as well. I think that maybe we'll look for something in blue and white and try to find a kepah to match. I'm not sure what mohel we will be using. There isn't one in our city, so we have to hire someone to come down from DC. But the catering is no problem--my mom is a caterer. :) I think we'll have it at the house, but hire someone to help with serving and with cleaning.
    Thanks! I think I have a better idea of what to look for now.

rfeibelm Guest

I agree with you that it does look too much like a christening gown. I also think it may be too long to be able to push up and out of the way. I had a little Strasburg blue bubble for ds and then bundled him in a blue blanket. The bubble worked out really well as the mohel just unsnapped it and then pulled it back down when he was done. And if you're anything like me, then you won't really want anyone looking at ds anyway! We had the bris at our house (a REALLY good idea as there was no getting ready and leaving the house to worry about) and we hid in our bedroom until the very last minute and then high tailed it back in there the second it was over!!! And I bawled the entire time. :(