Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    calv is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default teeth extraction(s)

I'm suppose to have some teeth extracted and I'm a wreck about it. I'm nursing and thankfully my little one is 14 months old. the thought of weaning really isn't an option (if I can control it). I'm curious to hear what and how your experience was w/the pulling of wisdom teeth. I'll have the following drugs

*Versed
    *Fentonyl
    *Propofol
    *Decedron

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a total mess about this whole thing. BE honest, I want to hear the good and bad stories!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: teeth extraction(s)

I had wisdom teeth out when I was in HS. It wasn't fun, but looking back I would put it at worse than a root canal, but not as bad as laproscopy. Childbirth tends to put things in perspective, LOL. Put ice on as much as possible after and ask specifically what you can do to prevent "dry sockets" - had those and they sucked. Here are some links on medications while BF:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/dentalwork.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-surgery.html

Most of those will probably be fine by the time you are home.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I had my wisdom teeth out during HS as well. However, mine were done under general. I don't recall taking anything other than tylenol afterwards, but I could be wrong on that. I followed the post-surgical instructions and had good luck fending off the dreaded dry socket. I had virtually no swelling or bruising.

DH, OTOH, has had 2 wisdom teeth out as an adult and had such a "horrible" experience that he refuses to go have the other 2 done (even though they do need to be out). I think for him, the worst part was the procedure, they had him too awake, IYKWIM.

As for the drugs, I would ask your oral surgeon to confirm that those drugs are OK to use while BF, confirm with your OB and even your pedi.

Honestly, DH is the only person I know who had a bad wisdom tooth experience. I'd like to think he was just the statistic and that most people do just fine.

Good luck!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 19. I can't take pain, I just can't. I have no idea how I birthed two babies. I am also super good at psyching myself out. I get scared five months before something happens. I *dread* things.

It really wasn't that bad.

I cried the whole way there. Cried when the doc put in my IV. Cried when I woke up (I couldn't feel a thing but I was so freaked out I just cried and then apologized for crying). Went home took all the drugs they told me (vicodin? maybe, can't remember, could have been tylenol 3). It was tougher on me emotionally than physically. Honest! Take your medicine and do what they tell you and it will be okay. :)

Here's a good link on what drugs are okay and not when nursing. You can't ask questions (only healthcare pros can) but you can search to
    your hearts content:

http://tinyurl.com/y8y6os

Hugs and good luck!

Had mine out when I was 20 - two days before Thanksgiving, thank you very much! It really wasn't that bad for me and I healed quickly. I had had bronchitis just prior to my surgery and I was trying to boost my immune system by taking vitamin B and C. When I went back to the oral surgeon for my follow up, he said he never saw anyone heal so quickly. I told him about the vitamins and he said it made sense because they aid in cell growth, wound healing and collagen production. I found the following info for you:

Vitamin B

Health benefits
    The B vitamins often work together to deliver a number of health benefits to the body. B vitamins have been shown to:

Bolster metabolism
    Maintain healthy skin and muscle tone
    Enhance immune and nervous system function
    Promote cell growth and division — including that of the red blood cells that help prevent anemia.

Vitamin C is required for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body. It is necessary to form collagen, an important protein used to make skin, scar tissue, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels. Vitamin C is essential for the healing of wounds, and for the repair and maintenance of cartilage, bones, and teeth.

I wouldn't take excessive doses, esp. since you are nursing, but find out what would be safe while you are nursing and start now. I swear by it and for me it was just by chance. Even though I had basically mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving, I healed quickly and had no problems. I also took those vitamins before my sinus surgery and did really well after that surgery as well. Can't hurt to try, right? And, if it works, you should need less pain meds during your recovery.

HTH in some way.

this is wonderful thanks. I think I'll head out to wholefoods today since I want to get a few stocking stuffers there anyway. So you recommend just plain vitamin C and plain vitamin B?

I'm the exact same way. The surgeon could tell her nervous I was so I didn't even need to tell him that I do not want to know that I'm there or what's being done to me. I'm super anxious about the whole thing and I have to go back and get more done. EEEKKKK!! The anxiety is awful. I'm not a nervous person by any means but when it comes to a dentist, FORGET ABOUT IT!!!! :) I'll have to come back and post about it. Hopefully it will all go smoothly.

yeah i've heard the nightmare stories about the sockets. OUCHIE!!!!! =( Thanks for the links. :)

Thank you. :) That's terrible about your DH, I don't blame him especially after being tramatized.

I have a call into our PEDI's office.

BTW, contrats on your soon arrival.

I had all four wis. teeth extracted at 21/22.It wasn't terrible but that's the most extensive surgery I've ever had so take it fwiw.

All in all it was that bad but I definitely made sure they'd do all of them at once. No way they'd get me in the chair twice once I knew what to expect.

Quick healing to you. :)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
    http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png
    http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
    Last edited by Wife_and_mommy; 01-12-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast