Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's the life expectancy for a vacuum cleaner?

My Kenmore canister vacuum is about 7 years old. It seems to be dying - or there's some sort of electrical problem with it. It works fine for a minute, then dies, then comes back to life. It's not overheating or anything, so I am pretty sure that some wire inside of it just isn't working properly.

I am trying to decide between taking it to be repaired, or just buying a new one. I like, but don't love the machine. If it is a quick, easy and cheap fix (<$25), I'd consider repairing it, but I don't want to invest in a machine that might be nearing the end of its natural life anyway. I'd rather have the cash to put toward a new machine.

In your experience, how long should a vacuum cleaner last?

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Our Kenmore canister (CR best buy) is a complete piece of crap and it is about 5.5y old. I got it when DD#1 was a few months old and she is turning 6 soon. I hate hate HATE that machine and it too sounds like it is dying, but I know it will live forever just to spite me.

We have fixed a couple of things on it.

I want a Dyson. DH wants a Miele. He refuses to buy a new one or even consider it until this one dies. Frankly, one of these days, he'll come home and said Kenmore will be sledge-hammered into little bits.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

I don't think vacuums last very long anymore. I've heard from vacuum repair shops that most manufacturers make them to be "disposable" as repairs can cost more than the cost of a new one (e.g., $100 or more!).

We've gone through 2 vacuums in 8 years and I decided to get a Dyson from Costco as they have a 5 year warranty from Dyson PLUS Costco's lifetime warranty.

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a Kenmore canister vac that won't die! We bought it in 1999.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

No more than five years of weekly vacuuming. I think you should get a new one. If the next one you get lasts you another seven years, it'll come down to only $1.37 per weekly vacuum for a $500 vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by mommysammi View Post
    No more than five years of weekly vacuuming. I think you should get a new one. If the next one you get lasts you another seven years, it'll come down to only $1.37 per weekly vacuum for a $500 vacuum.
    I'll be sure to share that math with DH when I break the news that I really want a Miele .

bigpassport is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't know what the life expectancy of a vacuum cleaner is. But I do know that I have had to replace vacuum cleaners more than any other appliance or electrical thing I've ever owned. They just don't last that long. Several years ago after getting fed up with broken vacuums, I spent a chunk of money on a Rainbow...it hasn't broken.
    Lee
    DS 06/09
    Expecting b/b twins via adoption, Summer 2013

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I keep hoping ours will die as I want a new one. But, it seems fine. It's a Hoover and more than 10 years old. It was DH's and he had it when he bought his house, but I can't date it better than that.
    Kris

I had a Hoover from Costco that lasted me through college and some grad school years, so about 6-7 years. It died in my last school year and I bought a cheapo $35 from Target that lasted...that one year. It actually died the day I moved out of my apartment!

We now own a spiffy Dyson that we got a good deal on at Target. And really, it never loses suction. It's actually too good at suctioning the long-haired carpet at our current place. So I let DH do all the vacuuming now.

Maybe you can get a quote on how much it is to repair before you give it up? But vacuum technology have changed so much...

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think mine is around 6 years old and going strong, but I think it depends on the type. A higher end one should last longer imo.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast