Thread: Treating Yeast?

Default Treating Yeast?

DS2 has has had a lot of gas and been very fussy. We are treating him for reflux which seems to be working, but the gas hasn't really improved even with Mylicon. I was looking up causes and ran into info on thrush that has me wondering if maybe that isn't part of the problem.

I do have nipple pain. He doesn't have a great latch (not opening wide enough), but I don't think that's the problem because he isn't mashing my nipples. It's a burning pain while he nurses (especially bad right when he begins) and also hurts between feedings.

He does have a yeast infection in the diaper area that the ped told us to treat with Triple Paste AF (anti fungal). If he has the typical thrush symptoms in his mouth then it isn't very bad because I can't tell that it isn't just milk.

So what do I do about it? Do I call the ped or my own doctor? Do I treat it on my own? I assume that I'd need to treat my nipples and his mouth. I tried to look up info, and there's just a LOT to read about it. If I use an OTC cream on my nipples then do I wash it off before nursing? Obviously I don't want to treat a problem that we don't have, but I need to do something about this nipple pain because it's getting worse. This seems like a likely cause.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

I think you should see your own doc first. Lots of pediatricians are not very good with breastfeeding issues. You can also see a lactation consultant. A friend i know had a yeast/thrush issue with her baby and she had to take an oral anti-fungal.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

there is no harm in you and your little one taking some probiotics. Udo's Choice and Jarrow have good "infant" powders... you mix with a bit of water and let baby suck it off your finger... you can also apply to your nipple as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Udos-Choice-In.../dp/B0010EG6QC

http://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formula...ob_hpc_title_2

when DS and I had thrush we went through DS's ped and were prescribed Nystatin and it didn't help us. I ended up using gentian violet and probiotics and things finally cleared up. We stuck with the probiotics for a while after too ... figured it couldn't hurt!

Seeing a dr right now is a bit difficult with the toddler and the baby, and I already have apts with my ob and regular doc in 2 weeks. I'd like to go ahead and start something though. Are there any problems with taking probiotics? I know there's debate over most herbal stuff, but is this pretty straight-forward and accepted by docs?
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

I have run into problems with thrush with 3 babies. My best advice is to get rid of it as soon as possible! I think I didn't realize the problem early enough the first time and I really ran into complications including mastitis. None of my babies ever showed any signs of it.

A lactation consultant is great, but if you need a prescription you need to see your regular doc or OB. Things that worked for me: Diflucan prescription (2x daily for 2-3 weeks! crazy i know.), gentian violet (messy but effective), APNO prescription (all-purpose nipple ointment/cream), acidophilus pills, and grapefruit seed extract (GSE) pills. Finally -- cut out sugar & breads from your diet as much as possible. (This can be hard b/c you may be craving those things!)

If you catch it early, you can probably turn things around with the probiotics & diet, but if you let it go too long you are going to need to get on Diflucan to get things back in control. You can also do fun things like add a cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle of every load of laundry and only wear each bra one time before washing it oooohhhh, I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this. It's painful and exhausting. Best wishes for quick healing.

A website that I found helpful: http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/yeast.shtml

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

kellymom has good info on thrush too.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/index.html

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had major thrush issues with DD2. We followed the protocols on kellymom (linked above) which is consistent with shartemink's advice. I was able to get a script for APNO (all purpose nipple ointment; at a compounding pharmacy) and Diflucan (note dosage recs on Kellymom; longer than a vaginal yeast infection) called in by my OBGYN's office without having to go in based on my symptoms.