Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Recommendations for a liquid probiotic suitable for a toddler?

We've given DS Culturelle and Baby Jarro in the past, which both come in powder form. He has been very spotty with drinking non-breastmilk fluids these days and will only sip from a cup off and on. I'd like to start giving him a probiotic in liquid form for that very reason versus another powder. Any recommendations?? He is 13.5 months old.

Also, I've heard not to order from online retailers, e.g. Amazon because it's questionable how they store it in their warehouse and what sort of conditions it will be subjected to during shipment, i.e. it needs to be refrigerated to retain all the benefits. Wonder how accurate that is...if so, which B&M store would have what I am looking for??

P.S. My primary reason for giving him a probiotic right now is to boost his immune system after being on two courses of antibiotics in a span of 2 months...of course, improvement of digestive health is always a noble goal too, but I am not trying to give it to him for the same reason a parent of a colicky newborn would give them a probiotic! (in case this will affect recommended options).
    Last edited by new_mom_mry; 12-27-2011 at 12:58 PM.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Have you tried putting a little breastmilk on your nipple and then patting a little probiotic powder onto that? At 13 months he may not go for that but it works pretty well with younger infants IME. It might be worth a try if you haven't attempted that yet.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    Have you tried putting a little breastmilk on your nipple and then patting a little probiotic powder onto that? At 13 months he may not go for that but it works pretty well with younger infants IME. It might be worth a try if you haven't attempted that yet.
    haven't tried it, but could give it a try. I did a little bit of research and the only probiotic in liquid form I am seeing is BioGaia...I wonder if there are other ones. The reviewers with colicky kids, though, seem to swear by it.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Will he eat purees or yogurt? That's an easy way to get it into them, also you can dissolve in a little (tablespoon or less) of water or any liquid and just squirt it into his mouth.

DD is on anti-b and nurse rec'd FloraStor. It is a powder you put in a drink. Not sure if it works in a bottle, but I bet it would b/c it is not thick. So far, so good. I have been giving her one a night with evening sippy.

It was behind the pharm counter at the drugstore and was about $12 for about 10 little packets - kind of expensive it seems to me.

I was looking for one to take on a more regular basis but haven't done much research. Good luck!

thanks everyone--I am trying to stay away from powders because he doesn't like yogurt or purees anymore, and he's had a really bad appetite due to the recent course of antibiotics. He DOES drink water from a cup, but more like a sip here and there, which is why I thought a more foolproof way would be to just give him the probiotic in a liquid form.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We had good luck with florajen. It is a refrigerated powder but is available behind the pharmacy counter at Target and walgreens. We just opened tge capsule and sprinkled it on a spoon w food, dipped a wet finger in it so DS could suck it off, even sprinkled it on the nipple w a little breastmilk before nursing.

You may also want to take probiotics yourself.

Good luck!

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How is he w medicine dosing syringes? Maybe you could draw a little liquid and powder mix into a syringe and give it directly that way.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

one of these would probably work for you

http://www.iherb.com/Liquid-Probiotics

http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Life-A...-ml/24004?at=0

If not then I would just use the powder ... mix in a spoonful or 2 of apple juice and give it to your kiddo in a syringe or on a spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    How is he w medicine dosing syringes? Maybe you could draw a little liquid and powder mix into a syringe and give it directly that way.
    you are brilliant!!! I think I am going to try florajen or florastor and just mix it with a little bit of apple juice or water into a syringe and give it to him that way! He actually does well with syringes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast