Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default What's going on with DD2 (a bit long!)

DD2 has been sick, in some form, for over 12 days now.....at first it was just really, REALLY, bad diarrhea. I called the ped. and was told it's a virus going around; it will last 7-10 days.
    Okay, I can handle that....

Well this past Saturday she threw up in the middle of the night....one time (looked like chunky apple sauce) and then was fine....
    Then DD1 threw up Sunday night.....but based on her behavior, it was a 24hr bug and she was fine by mid-day monday....
    Well then DD2 threw up again monday night, and then again yesterdat morning. I called the ped back.........was told it's part of this virus that's going around and she should be fine by this weekend...if not call (or if I see blood in her stool or vomit)
    So after throwing up yesterday morning she was fine all day......fine all last night....and then after eating breakfast this moring she threw up again!!!!!!!!

What is this?? She is allergic to nuts/dairy/eggs and so she drinks soy milk.............in the pit of my stomach I am worried she is developing an allergy to soy now, because yesterday morning and today, she threw up after eating a waffle/cereal and drinking her soy milk. She had water for lunch yesterday and today, and only a little bit of soy milk with dinner last night.....and I went back and checked the foods she ate yesterday and only a few contained small traces of soy in the ingredients.....

So is this some crazy virus I can't get rid of....despite washing everything in hot water and cleaning the house like crazy........or is my poor DD2 developing a soy allergy???

any advice BBB mammas??!!

oh and DD1 has been fine since getting sick Sunday night...
    Last edited by newg; 02-15-2012 at 03:18 PM.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

I don't know, but I would try cutting out the soy. Since many kids with milk allergies are allergic to soy...and many kids with peanut allergies are allergic to soy...and although this isn't advertised alot, more kids who are allergic to eggs are now becoming allergic to soy (since most chickens unless they are pastured are fed soy)--I would start connecting the dots and guessing and remove soy from her diet, if it were me. Couldn't hurt to try!

You could give her coconut milk in place of it, nice amount of healthy fats and calories, yummy to drink, good over cereal, and they even have coconut milk yogurt and ice cream.

Oh, P.S. I would get a milk free probiotic to heal and repopulate her gut with healthy bacteria after all the vomiting. It will help her get better faster.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Quote Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
    You could give her coconut milk in place of it, nice amount of healthy fats and calories, yummy to drink, good over cereal, and they even have coconut milk yogurt and ice cream.

Oh, P.S. I would get a milk free probiotic to heal and repopulate her gut with healthy bacteria after all the vomiting. It will help her get better faster.
    Do some people consider coconut to be part of the nut family? We are suppose to avoid all nuts/tree nuts 'till she gets older and we see how severe her allergies will get.

Do you have any recs for a good probiotic for an 18month old?
    The diarrhea has been getting better over the last 24hrs, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's improving.
    I think for the rest of today and all day tomorrow we'll stick with water and go soy-free on the foods......

I know rice milk has nothing in it, but is there anything I can add to make it more nutricious?

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Even though my DS isn't allergic to milk anymore (he was during his first year), he does have some sensitivities to it and it will always make him throw up when he's sick. I would think soy could do the same since it has a similar protein. DS"s pediatrician explained that after a stomach virus, the good bacteria in his stomach needs to replenish before he's able to process the proteins in milk. We just start him off on very bland foods and pedialyte for a few days before adding milk back in.

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

An alternate theory (because you're hoping for something else, right?) depending on if she's had any other symptoms. . . . my Ha has been having intermittent diarrhea and vomiting. . . which I'm pretty sure is a combination of the various stomach bugs AND the mucous in her system passing through her system. Her vomiting in particular happens early in the morning and not regularly enough to appear like any of the bugs that cause vomiting. The ped recommends 1 tsp benedryl before bed to help dry out the mucous. If she's had a head/chest cold too, that could be a factor.
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

I do not have a nut allergic child--just wanted to put that out there!--but from what I have read, coconuts are not considered part of the nut family (they are actually seeds from the palm tree), and are safe for *most* allergic children. Some still have a reaction, and doctors do not know why. I would ask your allergist first to be sure.

I just remembered! How about trying hemp milk? I have a friend with a highly allergic child, and that is what he has been on since age 2. Btw...the seed the milk is made from does not contain the hallucinogenic chemicals in it that marijuana has Totally safe for kids. Even her DH who is military and has drug screenings often drinks it. You can find it in cartons next to soy milk, and TJ"s carries it as well.

If you have a healthfood store around you, Jarow or Udos is a good brand. You can get it in powdered form, mix it into soft food (like applesauce, or normally I would say yogurt).
    Last edited by daisymommy; 02-15-2012 at 03:54 PM.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i heard of one mom in daycare having a child that threw up every other day for a week. the bugs this year seem highly potent with our warm winters. GL!

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Some people do consider coconut to be a tree nut due to some handling issues. However, coconut is NOT a tree nut in the same sense that a pecan is. My dd has a peanut allergy and has drank coconut milk every day for the last 2 years. Coconut milk is safe for a nut allergy and So Delicious is a nut free option. The Silk coconut milk has an almond contamination warning so you'd want to be wary of that.

We use this acidophilus for the girls: http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-...hilus-Children. FWIW, my dd1 had that nasty diarrhea virus that's going around and it lasted 8 days. She didn't have any vomiting though.

ETA: I understand the worry, but I really think that there's a LOT going around right now. My entire family caught that intestinal virus and we went from that directly into nasty colds. My kids rarely get more than mild illnesses too so this is unusual for them. Are either of your dd's in school? We're in OH too and my dd is missing several classmates each day due to some virus or another.
    Last edited by Clarity; 02-15-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

DD1 is in preschool. I may try no soy milk 'till tomorrow night and see what happens. I'll call the ped back on Friday and see what he says if the vomiting continues tomorrow. Good to know cocoanut milk might be an option if needed!!
    Thanks ladies!!

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
    An alternate theory (because you're hoping for something else, right?) depending on if she's had any other symptoms. . . . my Ha has been having intermittent diarrhea and vomiting. . . which I'm pretty sure is a combination of the various stomach bugs AND the mucous in her system passing through her system. Her vomiting in particular happens early in the morning and not regularly enough to appear like any of the bugs that cause vomiting. The ped recommends 1 tsp benedryl before bed to help dry out the mucous. If she's had a head/chest cold too, that could be a factor.
    My DS just got over this - two weeks of mostly being fine, with occasional night vomiting and once-every-few-days diarrhea. It's awful. But half my DH's coworkers' kids have had something similar. I would not automatically think of allergies or ongoing issues, it's a brutal winter for long running bugs / sour stomachs / mucous complications.
    Hang in there.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast