Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default severe anemia and vit D deficiency -- recommend your vit!

I just found out that I am severely anemic and need to take ferrous sulfate 2-3 times a day with a vit-c tablet. I also need to take a vit-D tablet. I already take a multi. Please suggest your
    ferrous sulfate
    vit-c
    vit-d (1000 IU)
    tablets

thanks!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I take the 2000iu gelcaps from costco for d3. I think they also have 1000iu; hopefully someone can confirm.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I went through several iron formulations when pregnant and anemic, and Floravit http://www.florahealth.com/product_c...=15&prod_id=88 was the only one that agreed with me - I think it is ferrous gluconate, not sulfate.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

AmyZ is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I like the Carlson drops for Vit D. Clear/no taste... drop into any liquid or food. I buy mine on Amazon.
    Our string quartet is complete

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm sorry you are going through that. I just went through that exact same situation this past spring.

First, do your doctors know the reason for the anemia? That was my first concern.

My doctor prescribed me 6 weeks of taking 50,000IU of vitamin D followed by daily pills of 5000IU vitamin D3. I just got the cheapest ones at Walgreens (Nature's Bounty brand).

As for the iron, I had to be careful. It is VERY binding. I already have trouble with constipation and iron can mean lots of pain and bloating if I'm not careful. For this reason my doc prescribed SlowFE which is a slow release iron pill that you can find at Walgreens. According to my doc and pharmacist lots of people swear by it. But it was still hard for me to tolerate so I am taking liquid ferrous sulfate drops. I drink them in a glass of oj (without added calcium) every morning. I'm also eating a LOT of spinach salads, black beans and liver pate (which grosses out a lot of people but I happen to love it. And it has 40% of the recommended amount of daily iron intake for an adult).

Hth!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I take a prescription Ferrous Sulphate 325 (65)mg with a 500 mg Vit C 2-3x per day and then once a week I take a 50,000 IU Vitamin D that is prescription. The iron is constipating, so I am trying to find a less constipating one.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

For iron, I love Nature's Plus Hema-Plex tablets. It is a chelated iron and is 85mg a tablet, but it is not constipating at all. I used to get random cravings to eat crayons (pica) and figured out it was related to low iron levels. After just one tablet of Hema-Plex my cravings completely disappeared.

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Plus-H.../dp/B00014EFFQ

For Vitamin D I take the Carlson Vitamin D drops. I've always taken 6000-8000 IU a day and my blood levels have always been in the normal range. If you're already deficient, I don't see how just taking 1000 IU a day will do anything. My mom was deficient and her Dr. told her to take 1000 IU a day. When she was retested months later she was still deficient. I think you need the prescription 50,000 IU.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Do you know why your levels are low? I was severely anemic w/very low vit D and the cause was probably celiac. Might be worth getting checked.

As a PP mentioned, Florvital is great. It helped so much and wasn't constipating in the least.

For D, make sure you get D3, but most brands will be fine. The pills are small and inexpensive.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have a question about the heme iron - is that an animal based product. We are veggie and I was a little unsure about that one. I just want iron that is not constipating.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I used Floradix from Whole Foods my entire pregnancy and also gave it to DD who was diagnosed with anemia. It is very gentle on the stomach and has Vit. C already in it. I don't hate the taste, and since I have been anemic all my life, this is my go-to supplement.
    Just saw that Floradix is ferrous gluconate.
    I would recommend a 2000IU for Vit. D. I use the Carlson's Vit. D and never had any issues. I get the best price from vitacost.
    Last edited by fedoragirl; 11-10-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast