Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Do your children wear underwear? My 7 year old nephew doesn't.

I have four boys (ages 10, 8 and 4 year old twins). I kept my 7 1/2 year old nephew last week while his parents were out of town. My boys all dress themselves and I allowed my nephew to do the same. He did wear the same shirt a few days in a row (his choice) but that is his norm. I was going to wash his clothes before he went home and noticed there was no underwear. I texted his mom to see if maybe they forgot to send more than the pair he was wearing. She informed me that he doesn't wear underwear and it's not a battle they choose to fight. This is my husband's brother's wife and we would not be friends if our husbands weren't brothers. We parent differently and have had differences of opinion in the past. I am just trying to understand if this is a common thing. Her son is an only child, is homeschooled and participates in very few outside activities that aren't homeschool or church related. My nephew is very bright and I don't think it's a sensory issue. I know when he was at my house he said he didn't like my rules. My boys aren't allowed electronics in the morning (we have swim team in the summer at 9am and during the school year we are out the door by 7:45 for school at 8am). There is no time for the distraction of electronics. Apparently my nephew is allowed to go to bed with his iPad and wake up with it. He also didn't like that I don't allow my boys to take food or drinks out of the kitchen unless someone is sick or it's movie night. I'm sure I have more rules than at his house but I also have four boys and the rules are one way I maintain some sense of order and preserve my sanity This is probably more of a vent but I am just wondering if this is common.

TIA!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wouldn't let something like that bother me too much. I remember my brother went through that phase at around that age. As long as he is old enough to wipe well and he isn't wearing zip up pants all of the time I wouldn't worry.

Yes both of my girls wear underwear all of the time except with swim suits.

Underwear was optional at night for us growing up but I always wore it.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it's probably uncommon but the parents have chosen not to make this one of their battles and I can get behind that. If the boy isn't uncomfortable I guess it would be like wearing a swimsuit all the time.

My kid wears underwear but he has never asked not to. I guess I might choose not to insist if it came up.

Catherine

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Ceepa View Post
    I think it's probably uncommon but the parents have chosen not to make this one of their battles and I can get behind that. If the boy isn't uncomfortable I guess it would be like wearing a swimsuit all the time.
    DS1 does wear them, but its not an issue for him.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

My homeschooled 7yo boy went through a period of not putting on underwear when he got dressed. It was an issue for his parents so he's required to wear them except at night.

It sounds like they're more laid back and can be because they only live with one child. I'd be a lot more strict about some things with mine if there were more of them.

Fwiw I struggle with a niece who is older than my children as she was an only for 8 yrs and had/has much less structure in her life than I have in my children's.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

Quote Originally Posted by Ceepa View Post
    On the list of battles to fight, I can see why this would be low. As long as he remembers to keep his fly closed.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

my youngest two didnt for almost a year after potty training sometimes Jack < 4.5> doesn't put them on not a big deal IMO
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

My DS (almost 4) would go commando if I allowed it. I don't make him wear underwear to bed (just wears cotton or fleece bottoms). But I make him put in underwear during the day. However, often I will find his underwear in the bathroom (he doesn't always put it back on after going to the bathroom.). If we are just at home, I don't make him put it back on.

If it became a big battle, I would just let him go without underwear. In my book, it's not like unlimited screen time, asking for toys at Target, behaving badly, eating crap, etc. I assume it's either a comfort thing or a laziness thing. So long as he's not hanging out, I don't see the big deal.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DD did this around that age. We did make her wear it, but that was because she was wearing skirts. Had she not been wearing skirts I probably would have let it go. It does make for more washing of clothes though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast