Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ilovetivo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default For Food Allergy reaction, here's what I have in my diaper bag medicine kit

The Emergency Medicine Bag I keep in dd's diaper bag contains the following (I also have the same kit at home and at school):

Red Medicine Kit bag from the Food Allergy and Anaphylactic Network (FAAN) www.foodallergy.org

-In a ziploc:
    *CVS 1 tsp dropper
    *a small plastic leakproof bottle filled with 2 doses of Benadryl liquid (there are single serving doses now in 1 tsp increments. But DD needs 1 1/2 and I like the dye free)

-Travel Pack of Wet Ones (red kind)
    -Food Allergy Action plan - laminated and folded (http://www.foodallergy.org/downloads/FAAP.pdf)
    -FPIES* letter from doctor to ER doctors - laminated and folded (there's a copy of the letter in the book Understanding and Managing Your Child's Food Allergies By Sicherer)
    -1 EpiPen (I have 2 in her diaper bag, just 1 in this case, the other is in the wristlet**)
    - Emergency Medical ID Card, (posted below)
    - Tylenol (not FA related, but I have it anyway)
    - Medic Alert card
    - Band aid (for the Epi injection site)

i think i'll put the emesis bag in it too, got some from the hospital this week with her FPIES vomiting reaction - http://www.cardinal.com/mps/catalog/...p?cat=Med_Surg

**In the diaper bag, I also have a wristlet with 1 epi pen, the id card, wipes - i carry this with me if i'll have quick access to the diaper bag, but don't want to bring it all - like at the kid museum and i can put the diaper bag in the locker.

I also have a big pack of Wet Ones or tons of Kirkland diaper wipes, for wiping hands, table tops etc. Hand sanitizer gels don't remove the food protein

I should keep a change of clothes in the car.

* FPIES - Food Protein Induced Enterocolitis - a food allergy that reacts in the gut, cell mediated, not IgE (immune). Just as deadly if IV fluids & steroids not given

-----------
    Emergency Medical ID Card: If anyone wants my exact Word document that's already formatted PM me

I got the idea and general format from a www.kidswithfoodallergies.org mom, and modified it for us. It's about 2 1/2 x 3 1/2, laminated in business card laminators you can get from Office Max

--front page --

EMERGENCY MEDICAL IDENTIFICATION CARD

PICTURE

First Name Mid Ins Last Name
    DOB: x/x/x Blood Type:
    As of 11/1/07: xx lbs, xx in

MEDIC ALERT BRACELET
    ID # xxxx 1-800-ID ALERT

LIFE THREATENING FOOD ALLERGIES:
    All milk products, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish. Food Protein Induced Enterocolitis to milk. See Dr’s note in red medicine bag.

DRUG ALLERGIES: Penicillins, Erythromycins, Sulfas

IN CASE OF ALLERGIC REACTION, DO THESE STEPS IN ORDER:
    1) Give one EpiPen Jr injection in outer thigh (in tube with green cap)
    2) Call 911: Say “Allergic reaction has been treated, bring epinephrine�
    3) Contact parents
    4) If possible, give 1 1/2 teaspoon (7.5 ml) Children’s Benadryl orally

--- back page ---

EMERGENCY NUMBERS

PARENTS: Names Address
    Home: (x) x-xxx City, State, Zip
    Mom’s Cell: (xx) xx-xx Dad’s Cell: (xx) xx-xx

GRANDPARENTS:
    xx xx H: (xx) xx-xx C: (xx) xx-xx or xx
    xx & xx xx: H: (xx) xxx-xx C: (xx) xx-xx or xx

ALLERGIST: Dr. x x (xx) xx-xx - Press 0# for on call Dr
    PEDIATRICIAN: Dr. xx xx (xx) xx-xx
    POISON CONTROL: (800) 222-1222

OTHER IDENITYING INFOMATION: info on hair, eyes, body marks

MEDICAL INSURANCE: xx

You have our permission to seek ANY emergency medical treatment (including epinephrine) for our child, XX XX.
    - Parents Names (I sign it too)
    Last edited by ilovetivo; 01-28-2008 at 02:08 PM.
    DD 7 - outgrew dairy allergy 6/13/11 - She had FPIES http://bit.ly/WhatIsFPIES

bump - would this be a valuable sticky? Same with my Food Allergies Good Info thread?

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hi Julie,
    I think this would be a fantastic sticky! I tried last week to click on the link but it said the page wasn't found so this is the first time I saw this thread.

A quick question: What did you get the Medic Alert bracelet for? Was it for all the allergies or the antibiotics? I'm asking b/c I'm wondering if it is worth getting DD one for her food allergies or if that would be overkill?

Anyway, thank you a million times over for all your calm BTDT advice! You have really helped me educate myself on DDs allergies. It is scary how little info I have had from the ped, and he's a good ped!

Hugs
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

It's a linked thread (working) now in the new Feeding Your Child Resources sticky

You definitely need a medic alert bracelet for the food allergies. It's not overkill in the least. Say something happens to you when you're out w/ dd (car accident, trip and fall, pass out etc) and you can't speak for her. Other would know not to feed her her allergens. Paramedics/hospitals etc know to look for them. There's a code on it and the writing of allergies, medical issues etc. You call the phone #, give code, and there's all the medical and contact info. So even if she gets lost and a good samaritan finds her, it's helpful.

Plus, others take her FAs more seriously if you have a medic alert bracelet. Their website's down right now (medicalert.org), but when you go there they have a referral code you can use for a discount (for you and me). Let me know if you're getting one and I'll send it to you if you want.

Ask your allergist if you can get one that has nickel in it. Our allergist said not to b/c those can be allergenic in some. We got all gold for like $50 and a sports bracelet. We only use the former though.

You're so welcome!!! I wondered w/ dh last night if i've really helped anyone on bbb. Like really really helped and prevented something really bad from happening.

This is all VERY helpful information....I just have a question. When did you start carrying things like epi pens? After your child had their first reaction?

This is the thing...I am severely allergic to Penicillin, and have many other non-food allergies. My FIL is severely allergic to mustard, all nuts, and has some sort of problem with eggs and dairy (he's a little evasive...it's frustrating). Although my husband and his sister have not inherited these allergies, who knows if DS might. There is a chance of him having some of these allergies, but the ped won't write me a scrip for an epi pen to have "just in case". I'm not an idiot, I know what an allergic reaction looks like, I wouldn't be using it willy-nilly. Obviously I am not so worried about the Penicillin, but I do worry about the nuts and other food allergies.

DS is only 5 mos. but I am quite concerned about not being prepared for when he is exposed to potentially hazardous things. Especially when we are well aware of what is in his background.

Any advice? Or is this premature? Are you just supposed to wait until there is an emergency, and then practice damage control? As you can guess, I'm not too keen on doing that. I remember those multiple experiences from my own childhood of rushing off to the doctor for an adrenilyne shot. It'd be nice to avoid that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance!

I am quite impressed with your allergy kit, mine is not nearly as comprehensive with the information. I would suggest, however, that you include 2 epi pens, and not just one. An epi pen can wear off much sooner than the benedryl can start taking effect, necessitating a second injection. My DD has not needed 2 injections in a row, but I have, so I know from experience that it can happen!

Also, my DD is nearly 3, so I keep benedryl meltaways as opposed to liquid. And, I also keep liquid prednisone in the kit. If there is a reaction, I give it with the benedryl for double protection against a late phase reaction.

Susan

1964pandora is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by babysophia
    I am quite impressed with your allergy kit, mine is not nearly as comprehensive with the information. I would suggest, however, that you include 2 epi pens, and not just one. An epi pen can wear off much sooner than the benedryl can start taking effect, necessitating a second injection. My DD has not needed 2 injections in a row, but I have, so I know from experience that it can happen!

Also, my DD is nearly 3, so I keep benedryl meltaways as opposed to liquid. And, I also keep liquid prednisone in the kit. If there is a reaction, I give it with the benedryl for double protection against a late phase reaction.

Susan
    I second that! I used to put my two epi-pens in two separate places, but then I learned that the whole point of issuing two at one time is that the two epi-pens must be carried together for potential use at the same incident. Not to be nit-picky, because this is an excellent post!

Excellent point. I do keep 2 epi's in the bag Maybe you didn't see the part about how I also keep a wristlet in my diaper bag w/ the other epi. I edited it above to make it more clear and to make sure people know i keep 2 epi pens with me at all times.

The wristlet I carry when I don't need two with me b/c i have quick access to the other one. Ex: Running into CVS, returning a book at the library, or at the Children's Museum where the diaper bag is in the locker. I'd have 1 epi with me and would be able to access my diaper bag w/ the other epi with in a couple minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum
    When did you start carrying things like epi pens? After your child had their first reaction?
    When she got her diagnosis from the dr. I didn't know it was confirmed food allergies at that point. Her reactions were not anaphylactic at that point (or even afterward). Since I was doing FA research before my appt w/ the ped allergist, if I had seen ANA signs in her reactions, I would have made sure we had epi pens before we even had the appointment.

This is the thing...I am severely allergic to Penicillin, and have many other non-food allergies. My FIL is severely allergic to mustard, all nuts, and has some sort of problem with eggs and dairy (he's a little evasive...it's frustrating). Although my husband and his sister have not inherited these allergies, who knows if DS might. There is a chance of him having some of these allergies, but the ped won't write me a scrip for an epi pen to have "just in case".
    Do you have ANA from penicillin? (It sounds like it) Not that you'd need epi with you at all times for that anyway. Just curious. Does FIL have epi with him? I really hope so.

Has DS had any symptoms at all? Eczema? Green poops, mucus? Would another dr give you an Epi rx? I totally agree. To me it's like insurance. All people should have epi's just in case, especially in people that have a history of FA's.

I guess if you can't get an script, then when you intro other foods, just be very aware of what's going on and be prepared to call 911 if you see any symptoms. I totally agree with you though. Maybe find out if your state allows paramedics to give epi. Some don't. I think the foodallergy.org site lists them. Or you could call your local fire dept. If you have to call 911, make sure you say "food allergy reaction, bring epinephrine"

Quote Originally Posted by babysophia
    I'm *not* knowledgeable if benadryl with epi protects against late phase (i assume you're talking about bi-phasic) reactions. Or are you only giving the benadryl?

i'm sure you know, but in case someone else doesn't...If one gives benadryl prophylacticly (like when they're in a high risk situation), the benadryl may mask first signs of anaphylaxis (ANA), like hives. So if one sees the coughing, wheezing etc, without seeing the hives, they might think it's choking or something not ANA related. Also, not all ANA's have hives.

ETA: "not" above
    Last edited by ilovetivo; 01-29-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast