Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default January Jones Eats Own Placenta: Healthy or Ick?

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/jan...165800669.html

Anyone done this? I am sure there are health benefits, but no thank you. It had been my understanding the reason mammals ate their offsprings' placenta was to keep predators from knowing there was a recent birth (ie. and easy meal). I am interested to hear what you all think of this.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/jan...165800669.html

Anyone done this? I am sure there are health benefits, but no thank you. It had been my understanding the reason mammals ate their offsprings' placenta was to keep predators from knowing there was a recent birth (ie. and easy meal). I am interested to hear what you all think of this.
    Actually I think it's because of the nutrients it has, and it's how they stimulate their milk to start being produced. But digusting. I think I will stick with GNC vitamins and mineral water thank you.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm fairly crunch and that makes want to puke. Sorry to anyone who had done it but *GAG*
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think it's ick.
    The dried up capsule that you swallow does seem not as creepy/gross to me though. I *might* consider doing that if I had had horrible PPD the first time around but other than that, I do not eat things that have come out of my own body.
    DD
    DS

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    Other than that, I do not eat things that have come out of my own body.
    Can you please talk to my DDs about this? Because they don't listen to me!

As for OP's question...not for me. But like Elektra said, maybe if I had had PPD once, the capsule would be a possibility. I've heard it is rich with nutrients etc. But not for me.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    I'm fairly crunch and that makes want to puke. Sorry to anyone who had done it but *GAG*
    I could see wanting to bury it. But eating? GROSS! To me it is akin to eating your appendix or a tumor which was removed from your body.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Eating the placenta is used as a treatment to stave off PPD. People either encapsulate it or make it into smoothies.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It is not something I would have been able to, it is the ick factor for me. I can't say I would have tried it if I had ppd with one of my children, but still I think I would have tried traditional meds first. I also think having to carry it home would have been another huge ick factor; but if you have home birth or access to the type of healthcare most celebs do then it might have been a non issue.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Not for me.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I couldn't even dream of doing it but I won't judge anyone who does. Hey, I'm vegetarian and I don't want to tell you what I think of eating meat! Cow, placenta, it's all the same to me. It's not for me, but if it's for you, and you're not hurting anyone in the process, go for it.

My doula *really* wanted me to do it. She even offered to freeze my placenta in case I changed my mind. (She's hard core and has many a placenta recipe at hand!) Yes, I gagged, but smiled and politely said that wouldn't be necessary. I think DH turned green....

for Sandy Hook

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast