Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bug spray?

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

UGH! Double post.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks everyone! Looks like Deep Woods OFF is highly recommended. Would I need the permethrin sprayed on things just in case he does not put the Deep Woods OFF on himself (which could very likely happen) or what is the purpose of doing both?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Permetherin is applied to clothing/shoes and lasts for up to 6 weeks (or a certain number of washings for clothes). It works better than DEET and is not washed off. By treating shoes, socks and other clothes, it provides a long-lasting barrier for ticks. DEET is not as effective, but can be applied to skin (permetherin cannot be applied directly).

It's a "belt and suspenders" approach.

I'd definitely do permethrin treatment of clothing & gear - boots, socks, shorts, outer shirts, backpacks/duffels - if you have time before your DS heads off to camp; follow the instructions on the product label and do treatment outdoors if you can.

I have permethrin spray that I need to treat DD's camp backpack and shoes with sometime next week because she's terrible at using the OFF! stuff (though I diligently send it with her every year) and gets bitten. We've been fortunate not to have issues with ticks (knock wood!) because the camp ranger keeps the common-area grass short (among other control measures), but you never know what's going to get through.

If you have pets, especially cats, keep them away until you've finished treating your items & cleaned up the area; permethrin is a neurotoxin that is especially harmful to cats.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Double post, again!
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Some local tick experts also recommend https://www.insectshield.com — it’s a nearby company that offers a variety of pretreated items, permethrin sprays etc. I bought stuff like socks etc years ago when DC was doing fieldwork in the Amazon. Since then, it looks like Insect Shield has really branched out and offers a much broader range of products as well as a service for treating clothes that you send in.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I

If you have pets, especially cats, keep them away until you've finished treating your items & cleaned up the area; permethrin is a neurotoxin that is especially harmful to cats.

Ugh, this is good to know. We do have an indoor cat. Does this mean if I treat items outside or in a different room (just thought of the fact that there are a lot of outdoor cats-not mine- that come in my yard and would not want to harm them either) that once the permethrin is dry its okay for cats or not? Ugh...I may just have to not do the permethrin and hope ds will use the Off spray.

NCGrandma, that company has some really cool products..we dont have enough time for them to arrive though.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Ugh, this is good to know. We do have an indoor cat. Does this mean if I treat items outside or in a different room (just thought of the fact that there are a lot of outdoor cats-not mine- that come in my yard and would not want to harm them either) that once the permethrin is dry its okay for cats or not? Ugh...I may just have to not do the permethrin and hope ds will use the Off spray.

NCGrandma, that company has some really cool products..we dont have enough time for them to arrive though.
    I would absolutely treat the clothing outdoors. You don't really want to be breathing permethrin. I would also wear a mask.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

double post

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    ... once the permethrin is dry its okay for cats or not? ....
    Once the permethrin is dry, it's OK to have your pets around.

As for the outdoor cats, if you use caution and follow the instructions, they should be OK, but if they belong to people in the neighborhood (i.e. - this isn't a feral colony), I would give them a heads' up that you'll be treating stuff with permethrin on X day at Y time and, if at all possible, could they keep their pets indoors until Z time.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast